Plateau. Such an ugly word to someone trying to reduce their weight. I think I've been in a plateau, as I had 20 some days straight where I was 227 pounds.
I started researching and have tried something different. I think I have really screwed my metabolism up. I was eating my Weight Watchers points allowance, but I hardly ever ate the 35 extra points. I think I was eating too little.
My weight loss has been slow. I know that because I kept my records from 2001 when I lost and ate my points and my flex points and I kept my charts. I also know that comparing myself to other bloggers, I'm getting smoked! That's okay--I'm so happy people are having such great losses. I've just been perplexed as to why mine have been so slow.
So, what I've done is figured my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) here, which for my height of 5'5", weight of 225, and age of 44, is 1732.45. That is what I need to live each day in a resting state.
Then, I plug my numbers into a BMI calculator here. This gives me a number of 2680.25. With this number, I can calculate my calories needed daily. Because I work out 5 times a week, I multiply this number by 1.55, giving me a total of 2689.25. This is what I can consume each day to remain at 225. Well, who wants that? From here, you reduce calories.
Now Bbubblyb (Dawn) suggested an ebook to me a long time ago, which I finally bought a couple weeks ago. I have not read it all, but I did read through the calories portion. If I am satisfied with how this works, I'll share the link in a later post. At any rate, the author says to reduce you calories by 20 percent an start there. If you have a lot of weight to lose, try 30 percent. For me, a 30% reduction would give me 1882 calories per day. That's what I've been eating.
The author further says that to keep your metabolism working, to eat three days at your maintenance number, then three days at your reduced number. I cannot bring myself to eat 2600 calories a day. So I've been doing 3 days at 2200-2400 and then 3days in the 1800s.
Doing this is what broke my 227 streak. My weigh in on Monday was 225.5. This morning I was at 225. (Or I guess that is Thursday morning.) The days I eat high, it stays the same.
So I'm going to continue this for a good month or so. For awhile I was doing WW points and calories, but now I'm just counting calories. We'll just have to see how this works. And I may tweak it a bit as time goes on, too.
I have not read yet how exercise comes into play expect that the author says it's better to get your calorie reduction through exercise than through diet to save your metabolism.
This is my on-going experiment. I hesitated to share it in case I gain or fall flat on my face. But I'm pretty open and honest about what all I'm doing, so if it works--and I'd say it did work to break that mini-plateau I had, maybe it will help someone else.
I am also learning, by scouring the internet, that changing our exercise routine is very important. That's why I am asking for Jari Loves for Christmas. They are very different than the Firm, and I will alternate. I do like Jari Love very much--she's different, it's a dark setting, kind of cool music not something that I would choose, but so far the Get Ripped DVD I've been doing from the library has been fantastic. I alternate aerobics with her DVDs. I'll switch and go back to the Firm for sculpting work in a week or two. I did buy Jari's rotation. It irks me that you have to buy her rotations!, but her videos are so reasonably priced I guess I can't complain too much.
So that's what I'm doing--and putting it here for everyone to see. lol
Time will tell. I did come to a realization, though. As much as I want to lose this extra weight quickly, I've decided to relax a bit and ENJOY THE JOURNEY. I will get there. While it's a race to get my health improved, life is not a race. This journey is not a race. I didn't put all this weight on in a year, it came on over time, and that's how it will come off.
I have always enjoyed exercising when I would make myself do it. Now? I LOVE it. It is just as automatic as showering, brushing my teeth, and eating. Hopefully I'll get up to six days a week instead of five--but those five days a week are fantastic.
I agree about eating enough to keep the metabolism up - your calculations are exactly how I have arrived at my calorie intake. Of course, it goes down as your weight goes down, but by then you are used to it and not really needing as much food.
ReplyDeleteYou are right about switching the exercise about too - that has always helped me.
Good luck, I am sure this is going to work!
Plateaus always equal a need for change - unless you know you've been misbehaving, which means it's not a real plateau.
ReplyDeleteSince you do have a real plateau going, I'd say you've got a good plan in place here. Can't wait to see what kind of great results you get!
sounds like a good plan, I'm curious to see how it plays out...now off to calculating my numbers...thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI have struggled with this also. I blows my mind that to get off my last 10 pounds I had to eat more of my weekly WW points.
ReplyDeleteOnce I entered maintenance, I eat those 5 points, my activity points, and then some. When I hit goal with WW, I was at 19 points per day. I am eating between 25 and 30 per day and still losing. It doesn't make sense to eat more to lose!!
I hope that you don't compare yourself to others too much. Everyone's body is different. The fact that you are seeking out new options is terrific.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I've been meaning to ask you if you have a copy of a Firm video that is just ab workouts. I used to have one that I think was called "10 Minute Abs". My son let a friend borrow it and it's been MIA ever since. I wondered if you knew if it was still for sale. It was a killer workout for the abs and I'd love to buy another copy. (My old one was on video, I'd like a DVD anyway.)
Sounds like you have it under control. I remember reading once about our dread for the Plateau. They basically said to relax and just enjoy the view - once we take it easy and regroup (like you did) the Plateau isn't so dreadful just a nice temporary stopping point.
ReplyDeleteInteresting concept and one that I agree with - I was absolutely stuck for nearly a month before we went on vacation and am convinced that actually eating MORE is what broke the plateau! So now I'm having two higher calorie days per week and am feeling the same as you - a little wary, because it seems to be working! Good luck, Jo - keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteFantastic post my friend. Thank you for the information---I'll be researching and applying this stuff.
ReplyDeleteLove your message here---it's so true and something that I remind myself of all the time---Time doesn't matter---However long it takes, as long as I'm moving in the right direction--it's all wonderful from here. Still, it does get frustrating when it slows---or stops...Ughh!!!
Lovely post--Thank you again,
My best always
Sean
I hate the word plateau but i hate the word gain even more!
ReplyDeletegood luck with mixing it up!
If you're doing WW, google the Wendie Plan. If you're counting calories, the term is calorie cycling (you cycle your calories by eating on the high end of your calorie range one day then the low end).
ReplyDelete