A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

11.24.2009

Cleaning Up My Mess...

I don't want anyone to think that I do these Firm workouts perfectly, just like the instructors and class participants! They are tough workouts.

Just tonight I did my very first ever (probably in 20 years) push up. I usually do them on my knees--girly push ups. Tonight, I did a real one and thought I'd die! But I did it! I couldn't have done another, but I was thrilled with one!

My philosophy is to do my best and push myself. The first time I did a Firm I thought I'd die. Weights, step, arm work? Forget it! I just did the foot moves. I just kept plugging away, building strength and endurance. I am up to 5- and 8-pound weights, although today I was so tired I used 3. Everyone has an off day now and then.

Over the course of almost three months, I have made amazing progress. I can do so much -- but I still have a lot of room to grow. That's why I love the Firm so much, because I don't think I'll ever outgrow these tapes. The cardio kicks my butt still, and the weight work--I can always go up with weights.

I'm not perfect or anywhere close. I just do my best and usually love every second of it.

When I did Jari Love for the first time the other day, I worked my arms to the point of exhaustion. I have never done that before. I didn't think I'd be able to finish, to lift one more time as I was shaking--but Jari encouraged and I did it. I had doms in my arms for two days following.

I look forward to mixing up my routine with an infusion of Jari Love and the Firm. Her workouts are so different--it's almost like starting over, even though I know most of the moves she's doing, she does them straight and the Firm mixes things up.

I don't expect perfection from myself at all, I just expect my best. I usually give my all, love it, and am very satisfied. It's absolutely amazing how quickly you can progress by just pushing yourself a little with each workout.

I don't know how I would do if there were suddenly a Firm class to go to--I'd be in the back row hiding. I'm sure I'd keep up and finish, but with modifications. That's how I've done them all along, and the modifications are getting fewer and fewer, my steps are getting higher as are my weights.

~~~~~~

And we will have Thanksgiving after all. I got my shopping done, although I was disappointed. Only tiny turkey breasts were to be found, expensive at that, so I bought a real bird. More work, but it will be good. I had to get a fresh bird so it would be thawed in time. Not smart waiting until the last minute!

13 comments:

  1. ach, I tried a real one about one month ago and about passed out lol. Still doing the girly ones I'm afraid....when i get to about 170 I think I will switch. You are doing so well, I am glad you found stuff you can work out to....oh, and i'm sorry your neighbors are a bunch of pricks lol.
    I only have a few, they must have flocked to your community. They don't know what they're missing.
    Their loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo when you feel ready check out this site:

    http://hundredpushups.com/

    I did this program starting in January because I wanted to be able to do real pushups. By the end, I could do 65 pushups all at once! I didn't keep it up so I probably couldn't do that now, but when I got to Thai Boxing, I throw out 10 or 15 or 20 so I'm happy with that.

    Enjoy your time with your family. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! I'm impressed with the "real" push up. I haven't done one of those yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, that's fantastic. I just checked the site and there's no way I could do that first week's set--yet. I'm bookmarking it, and will keep pushing on and revisit after awhile. It's really a great way to build upper-body strength, in a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I read one of your posts, something speaks to me. The first time I met with my trainer I told him that one of my goals was to be able to do 20 regular push-ups. I could only do 3 at that time (and the last one wasn't even very good.) Yesterday he had me do push-ups and I was able to do 5 without a whole lot of trouble. I don't think I could have done 6, but it's a step forward.

    Keep up the great work. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo that is great!!! I am physically unable to do these workouts but I remember how great I felt a couple of years ago when I was working out with weights and even did a month of hard core bootcamp. Isn't it just the greatest feeling?
    I do the best I can with the limitations I have and love to cheer on my inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to try and see if I can do one now... I will let you know and thanks for the inspiration!

    Happy Thanksgiving Jo to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh...somehow I sorta feel "responsible" for the title of this post, given my comment last night..
    I never assumed you to be perfect at the work out you do, but IMO the fact that you're even doing those tapes makes me think of you as one though cookie I wouldn't wanna cross LOL
    I think you are darn near perfect for having the guts to put them in and actually do them, even if you don't "blink" all over the way the folks in the tape do!
    And congrats on that first manly push up... let me know when you do 10+, then I'll really watch what I say ;)
    In the meantime, keep it up, and mix it up, and you'll continiously get my "wows!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post - you have come so far from when you first started working out...isn't it great to be able to look back and see progress?!?

    You'll be doing sets of push ups before you know it - shoot, the way you put your mind toward doing things, you will conquer that 100 push up challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo, first of all thanks for the compliment of Julius - he is a cutie pie if I do say so myself! Secondly, you are an encouragement and I want to thank you. I will be checking out a dvd or 2 from the library because of your testimony. Thanks again and congrats on the pushup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. impressed! proper push ups are hard core! i know i certainly couldn't even think about doing one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you are doing awesome! It's always good to give ourselves a little push :) I did a double workout yesterday too!

    Happy Turkey Day!~

    ReplyDelete