A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

2.02.2010

No Pain, No Gain

Remember the scene in Mommie Dearest where Joan Crawford is meeting with the Pepsico board of directors after her husband died? They were blowing her off, sending her out the door. She had other plans.

Remember when she said, "Don't F*ck with me, Boys?" It made the hair on my neck stand up. Their feathers were ruffled, and they saw the light: Don't mess with Joan.

Well, fibroid, I have news for you: Don't mess with me. In true Joan style, I told my fibroid, "Don't f*ck with me."

Then I took 800 mg of Ibuprofin, waited a half hour, and damn it all, I worked out.

Did it hurt? Yes.

Did I lose a lot of energy, a lot of momentum with my pain-induced break? YES.

Am I going to get it back? HELL yes.

I've got my fight on.

~~~
I learned today that I do have a cyst which is pushing things around, but more importantly, the fibroid is rubbing and causing the pain. My right ovary is resting on my uterus instead of floating out there where it is supposed to be. I have a consultation with a gynecologist, and I am 99% sure I'll be having a hysterectomy.

A New Normal

This pain business will be my new normal. It won't be going away unless overnight I go into menopause. The fibroid is pushing, it's too big and in the way. So I will learn to deal with this new normal. I don't like it, but I can deal.

I'm not giving up my exercise. I have missed it tremendously. The workout I did today kicked my butt. I finished half the tape-but by golly, I did it. I was given the green light to work out, it's not going to hurt anything. The only hurt involved is the pain it causes me.

The mental hurt of not working out was worse than the physical hurt I've been enduring. So I'll take my Motrin, wait for it to kick in, then go to town.

No pain, no gain. And I want gain: all the wonderful things that my body receives from working out. Plus, if I'm heading for another surgery, I want to be as strong and healthy as I can be beforehand so the recovery will be better.

I'm not letting this stop me.

18 comments:

  1. Good for you! You haven't gotten this far by letting circumstances dictate your exercise routine and it's not about to change!

    You are inspiring:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. im so sorrry you are going through all of this
    but gosh your amazing
    wroking out through this all
    amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo! You are so brave and so strong. I'm so sorry you have to endure the pain, but I'm so impressed you're choosing to keep going.

    You show that Cyst who's boss. Go, Jo go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing, Jo! I hate that you are in so much pain, but I absolutely love how incredible your spirit is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow i'm so sorry you have to go through this!!
    You are an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you Jo. I'm truly sorry that you have to endure the pain, but so proud of your decision to power through it for the sake of getting more fit. You rock girlfriend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. JO, my new fitness hero.
    beyond awesome.
    kill it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your pain but you really are an inspiration. It would be so easy to just use it as a excuse but you are fighting through it. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel your pain! I had a LSH in 07 at 29. I still have my ovaries though, but am living with polycystic ovarian disease. this make losing weight HARD! There is a wonderful website called hystersisters that really got me through my surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The recovery from a hysterectomy might take a bit but won't it be nice to be able to get on the track you want and stay there? I hope this all resolves itself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOO HOO!! Great attitude. I really hope you are feeling better soon, surgery or whatever else you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  12. FIGHT ON, GIRL!!!

    Going to be praying that little bugger away tho! No fun, and it's completely messing up the plan here! Heesh!!

    ((( hugs))) Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES to all the wonderful gains you are getting for your body!! Build up on the positives and you are doing so well!☆

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are an inspiration! You are so close to your goal of 100 workouts, and doing marvellous! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry you've been going through this. Good for you for not letting it get the best of you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete