A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

4.10.2010

Down in the Dumps

I am really, really low right now. I am definitely down in the dumps.

My sleep is all screwed up.

I have NOT been working out. (I believe that was the cure for my insomnia!)

I was hurt really bad by two friends this week.

Had a appointment with my accountant this week for our taxes. He is my hubby's age --somewhere around there, and he had a heart attack last year, had a stent that didn't work, had bypass, just had another angiogram because he's not doing well. It hasn't clogged up, but he looks like he's on death's door.

Please say a prayer for him and his family. He has a daughter in college, a son my son's age, and a younger daughter. We were in a mom's group with his wife before the boys started school. We're not friends, but I like him and his family well enough. His health condition really got me.

One, as he was telling his story, it was a flashback to my mom's battle with heart disease. She died at the age of 59. She was so young. It just scares me for him.

Also, I had a panic attack while he did my taxes. I kept myself together, but the minute he got up and closed the door, my heart started pounding. My husband knew why immediately. I was afraid he'd keel over in front of me during the appointment. Why was I afraid of that? Because my mom keeled over in front of me and had a heart attack, went into a coma, then died. Then again, two years ago, Dad keeled over in front of me and had a heart attack, and died a couple months later. So my panic was a reaction--a learned response--and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. And I mean absolutely no disrespect to him at all--it's just my own issues.

It just really hit me hard.

I slept most of the afternoon today. That's not like me. I was just sad, in a mood, and wanted to be left alone. Not good.

At supper tonight, (thanks for cooking, honey), I mentioned all the things that were bothering me. A long list of things popped out, including the fact that I have been thrown away by my siblings. That's okay, because they're alcoholics and have mental issues that they really need help with--far beyond my anxiety issues. My anxiety, btw, came to a head just by being near them. But the way they treated me just--I cannot comprehend it. Watching my sister drink a 12-pack of Bud every night was horrifying. Yet she insists she doesn't have a problem. She was extremely violent as well--in front of my son. It makes me sad, I hurt that I have no one to mourn my parents with. It is what it is, and my life is better without them in it--until/unless they get help. It hurts, though. Even though they were nasty, I still have love in my heart for them. Yet I refuse contact anymore.

There's a lot more to it than that, but that's all I'm willing to share here. For now, I guess. That has been eating at me for two years.

Ugh. I just feel really crappy right now. I think this ovary issue is hanging over my head, has me scared to death. Living with the pain for the last three and a half months has really crushed my spirits. I do not know how people carry on with chronic pain. My hat is off to them. At least I have hope mine will go away.

Seeing my accountant in the state he was in, him telling me how exhausted he was, and him looking like he was on death's door scared me. That could be me--had I not started to lose weight, eat healthier and exercise. It was a dose of reality that touched me beyond measure. It still could be me, with my history. My parents both had heart disease. I still have high triglycerides, which means fat is building up in my arteries. I'm anxious to get that tested again soon.

I'm so tired of living my life in fear. Everything I do is fear based. I fear a lot. It's not healthy. It's not living. It's consuming me right now.

I need to get it together. Tomorrow, no matter what, I'm putting in a good workout. That helps me on so many levels. One step forward. I don't know what to do about fear. I think that's why I wrote this post, just to get it all off my chest. I guess that's another step forward.

Life is full of ups and downs. Feeling blue tonight, I looked at my weight loss photos. It might be coming off slowly, but damn, I've built muscles that I can see, I've gone down several sizes--so that was a great, much-needed pick-me-up tonight. Just need to keep my eye on the prize: health.

I can and I will. Even when I feel crappy. I did not overeat today, came right in on calories. Actually feeling things--feeling them deeply! lol So another step forward.

I can and I will.

17 comments:

  1. Hi jo, I am so sorry that you are going through all this.
    The great thing is that you are getting healthy and you have a great many years ahead of you (as far as i know) I am not God.
    I have been thinking about death lately. Mostly because of my brother. He has a terminal illness, and it's one of those things that you just don't know how much time you have.
    Well, after thinking about it...none of us knows how much time we have. We are all going to die
    I could die tomorrow..knock on wood. My goal for this impending event is to not regret the life I've lived.
    Hence the title of my blog.
    I blew years being miserable.
    But the great thing is I had today.
    I hope to have tomorrow.
    I am going to live it as fully as I can.
    I think the only way to really live is to embrace the certain notion that we are going to die...I mean sit down and really wrap our heads around it. No more sunsets, no more favorite tv show, no more visits with friends. That's it.
    Kaput.
    the end.
    Maybe this isn't the cheery comment I should have typed.
    ponder.
    hmmmmm...
    sorry.
    I did that a month or so ago. It reminded me of something Martin Luther King Jr. once said...until you've found something worth dying for you haven't really lived.
    I want to live a full life until old age...I don't know how I will feel on the verge of death...I hope I feel satisfied.
    I hope that for everyone.
    Hugs to you.
    I hope you feel better and brighter tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! You must be exhausted after such an emotional day! Hugs to you, Jo - today is just one day; tomorrow will be happier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jo, sorry you're down in the dumps. I know how it is when you get that negative track running through your head. I hope you are right that tomorrow you will (either neturally or by force) think and do things that bring your spirits up. For what it's worth, one thing that helps me when I get into a wrong thinking pattern is to reconsider the Buddhist eight-fold path of Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, etc... My only teacher in this matter is a book called "Awakening the Buddha Within" by an American lama who explains Buddhism in a way that's more accessible/useful to your average Westerner. Anyway, reviewing it really clears my head and puts me on a positive path. I should really do it way way way more often than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you did not overeat through the blues. Sorry these days are hard. As you work through them without overeating, you'll be stronger in the battle. I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo, I'm so sorry to hear of your woes. It must be very troublesome to have siblings you cannot turn to. Being an only child, I've not had that issue, but I can only imagine how difficult it must be. But the fact that you are doing your best to handle the tough times without reaching for food, is a wonderful sign that you are taking care of yourself. Do it for YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo ... I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling very happy right now. Sometimes we feel like we need to isolate ourselves from others when we're like this, but I really think it's better not to. I'm sad that you were hurt by 2 friends. That's too bad. A true friend would be there to apologize and work our the issue. I hope it gets better with them soon. You are doing an excellent job at getting yourself healthy physically, I just hope you can get the same mentally. I understand how difficult it must be some days but just keep at it. Focus on yourself and the wonderful good you are doing for yourself! You're making it!!! Sending hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ((((((hugs to you))))))) You do have a lot to deal with mentally. You have been through a lot and are still going through a lot. Have you considered going to a conselor/therapist? They might be able to help you process the trama. I hope you are feeling better soon. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm keeping you all in my prayers. Hang in there. I hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just checking back in to see how you are today. I hope better.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry u r not well. glad u r allowing yr feelings to be felt though. tomorrow will be better. take care,
    K.
    my blog: www.it-is-time.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. {{{hugs}}}

    My family is also a train wreck due to addiction and mental illness. I am also the "black sheep" in my family because I refuse to deal with their dysfunction. But it still sucks...

    I hope things look up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...I guess the only thing I can say is that you can't save everyone. A lot of people that you know or care about are sick or have died. While bereavement is appropriate, you simply can't absorb weight. What you can do is be energized by the fact that you can do something for yourself, which is all that matters. And you will, because you know how important it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey sweetie..hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Keep working through this..I know you can. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sound like you have some Post Traumatic Stress Disorder stuff going on. Some of what you feel is completely appropriate but if it continues to go on, you really need to talk to someone about it. I just completed a class this afternoon about traumatic events and mental health....

    Having had PTSD myself, you really need to "learn" how to deal (or cope) with events as they come up. I didn't want to, but I talked to a counselor and I'm so glad I did. It let me learn about me and my family, give unbiased opinions. Sometimes we just need to vent---to whom doesn't really matter.

    The stress you are describing can really cause physical issues down the road. You've done so much positive for yourself already....don't let stress/trauma bring you down.

    ReplyDelete