A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

1.17.2012

Kick Ass Challenge Day 1 and 2

Wow, what a weird two days.

Yesterday, day 1, was going great. I was in a good mood, productive, getting things done. Hubby came home for lunch, we had a nice visit. After lunch, I was going to go to the gym to work out. Then out of nowhere, a wave of sadness overcame me. It was the weirdest experience. I wept. I wept and I wept. Not full out crying, I just had tears streaming down my face. I finally snuggled up in my bed with my iPod on and slept a bit. Hubby came home from work, and I was still weeping. I felt like garbage. Tried to read funny things on the Internet, didn't help. About 8:30 that night, it left as fast as it arrived. I was normal.

Thus, I decided to take responsibility and finally seek help for SAD. I called the doctor this morning and they got me in right away. I went this afternoon and was prescribed Lexapro and Ambien. I requested the Ambien because I have not been sleeping. It's worked very well for me in the past. The Lexapro he informed me causes weight gain. I came home MAD. No way. Not at the doctor, but at weight gain. I googled and did NOT like what I saw. I did keep in mind that what you find on the internet, first-hand stories, are usually extreme cases. Those that have no problems usually don't post. I was freaked out. Not going to happen.

I had errands to run, a child to take to classes, and I was busy. Didn't make the gym because my doctor appointment lasted way too long. He did draw blood to check my Vitamin D levels. Anyway, got home, had supper, then off to karate class. I was ON tonight at karate. Sometimes I feel so dumb there and uncoordinated. Tonight everything clicked. After, we stopped at the pharmacy to pick up the meds.

I talked to the pharmacist. We talked a long time about the Lexapro. She looked the meds up and stated that I have a 1% chance of having a reaction to the meds, and it can be either appetite suppressant OR stimulant. She said the odds were low. I laughed inside because knowing my luck...

I'm going to think about it for a few days before making my decision. If I were to gain weight, it would kill me. It would put me in a depression far worse than what I am in now. I've worked too damned hard. On the other hand, it may not. She said that it takes about three weeks before it takes effect. So if I see appetite is increasing, I can call the doctor. I was prescribed a very low dose. Decisions.

So needless to say, this kind of thwarted the first two days of my Kick Ass challenge. That's NOT going to stop me, though. Tomorrow I'm hitting the gym. In fact, tonight after karate I did some work in the weight area of the gym and then I hopped on the elliptical for awhile as hubby played basketball.

Calories, I was over 300 yesterday. I was over about 300 today, too. Tomorrow will hone in on that.

So while I didn't meet my fitness or caloric intake goals yesterday or today, at least I took a huge step forward by visiting my doctor. Plus, I felt great today. I was happy. Cold, though! LOL I will never understand this, but I will face it head on. I'm determined, tough, strong and smart--I'll make this work. Look how far I've already come. This will not beat me.

Plans tomorrow: Shower, dress, breakfast in front of the computer which is conveniently located next to my light box. LOL What a great excuse to park my butt for awhile. Then morning chores and then off to the gym. It's a weight day tomorrow and when I'm done I'll do some form of cardio. That elliptical uses muscles I'm not used to using and I get tired, fast! LOL Will have to build up each day. I was told I can take my own DVDs with me, so I may do that. I can do them in our karate area. I'm not sure. When I'm all done, I plan on practicing my karate in our area in front of the mirror with no karate people around so I can clean my kata moves up.

One final note, I couldn't get in to see my doc, but I saw my son's. The first thing he said to me: You look fantastic! He noticed my weight loss! WOOT! And for the record, I was wearing long johns, jeans, shoes, a t-shirt and a big, heavy oversized hoodie when I got on the scale. That's a lot of weight in clothes. I weighed in there at 179 fully dressed. Do you ever wonder if your scale at home is accurate? I have been in that "I don't believe it" mode for the past few months when I see 17 as the first two numbers. 27--yeah, I remember and believe that. But 17. Yes, it's real, and yes, my scale is accurate. Go me!

Bring it. Crush it. Just do it--because I can.

2 comments:

  1. I am totally inspired by your story. I can't wait till I see a one in front of my weight instead of a two! I hope all has worked out with your lexipro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoid drugs almost at any cost. I can't share in your feelings, but I can lend my support.

    There are days when I wish I could cry and just ride it out...it would seem to me cathartic even if it is inconvenient.

    I remember the movie Moscow on the Hudson with Robyn Williams who had a small soliloquy about crying and sadness and how he embraced them because they were "his" that even the communist Russian government couldn't impose themselves on.

    I dunno...seems uplifting to me.

    ReplyDelete