A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

7.14.2014

Never Give Up

It seems the older I get, the slower the weight comes off.

That's okay.  Not how anyone wants it, we all want it off yesterday, but steady progress in the right direction is okay.  My favorite quote of all time:
Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use. ~Earl Nightingale
It all adds up.

Down 1.5 for a total of 9.5 since my restart.

I think back to the time, not so long ago, that I lost over 40 pounds in four months.  I walked daily, a lot.  I averaged above 40,000 steps a day.  I cannot replicate that today due to the problems with my feet and time. I knew then that I had the luxury of time which most do not.  According to my fitbit, I averaged over 3,000 calories burnt daily.  I have not hit that yet since my restart.  I am continuously looking at ways to improve my calorie burn.  I've been averaging 2400-2600.  Amazing, that 500+/- makes a huge difference. I am so limited due to my foot issues, but that is no excuse to give up.

The bike I love at my gym I can no longer use.  It hurts my tailbone terribly.  Last night I rode my real bike, outside.  It never hurts my tailbone, but I do not enjoy riding in traffic at all.  Nor big hills.  I am wondering if a trainer and indoor usage would be a good solution.  Perhaps for winter.  Ellipticals hurt my knees and feet, both.  The recumbent bikes hurt my feet terribly.  So it's slow walking at an incline and the bike at my school gym.  Sad, it's an hour away and I don't get to use it daily.

I broke down and did a Richard Simmons video yesterday just for fun.  Love the music and energy, but alas the beginner-level workouts that he produces are just not enough for me to get a big calorie burn.  My heart rate only averaged 114.  That is not good enough.  It is not productive use of my time.

So, never give up--will continue to look for my sweet spot. It's all going in the right direction, just tweaking along the way!


1 comment:

  1. I love your attitude and perspective, Jo. So true!! You're doing what you can and you're doing wonderful things. It's so big that you're having some compassionate understanding for your circumstance instead of self-abusive thoughts. Jo, you're poised for wonderful things. Hoping what pains you relents soon, giving you some much deserved relief...even just a lesser version of it would probably be a major difference for you. Great post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete