A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

4.06.2009

I'm Finally Getting It

What is it I'm getting? The importance of food has on our health.

All my life I used to say it's just food, you just have to watch your calories. I just didn't want to believe that some things were really good for our body, and others were really bad. Now I got it about the sat fats and trans fats, but the other stuff...I refused to believe it.

One of my problems I have is that I don't like vegetables. Most taste like dirt to me. Seriously. I can eat a few of them. I eat salad, and I have branched out from iceberg lettuce to more green leafy stuff. I can gag down a little raw spinach, but I could never eat that cooked. Anything sugary I like. Carrots, corn--does that count as a veggie? lol, potatoes, yams, yup. Cruciferous veggies gag me terribly. I can't even stand the smell of them. I love tomato product, but the texture of a tomato is very gross to me.

So I made my list of veggies I will eat and started eating them. I am going to try new things, and fortunately my hubby loves veggies, so nothing will go to waste if I just can't gag something down.

But I really am getting the nutritional content of food. I am drinking tomato juice daily because it's an easy way to get tomato (albeit it has a lot of sodium) and it's very healthy for lungs, heart and prostate for men. I am upping my potassium content by eating a baked potato every day. I am eating a lot more tuna for the Omega-3. I need to branch out on food.

I am taking this in small steps. I have the "I can do that" attitude. One little change--I can do that. A serving of tomato a day? I can do that. And it's all adding up. Slow, gradual, permanent change. I hope that some day I will actually start liking veggies more. It is easier to eat them raw than cooked for me. I'm getting there.

Sure, I can pop pills -- and I do. I take a vitamin, fish oil and aspirin daily. I never made it to Walgreen's like I blogged about, but I plan on adding Folic Acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, too. I can also choose smart foods.

This is a journey. It has bumps in the road, like I experienced this weekend. However, when I keep moving forward, I am getting healthier. Reading, researching, finding what's best for my body is actually fun now. Small, gradual changes. It all adds up.

1 comment:

  1. Forward movement and baby steps are good!

    I just learned in the last few weeks that all calories are not created equal myself. Go figure! After 31 years, the lady finally figures it out!

    ReplyDelete