I love this template because it matches the coffee cup my son made me, but I haven't been happy with the header. I put a photo in last night. It still doesn't zing and pop, but it has a lot of meaning to me.
One of my hobbies is genealogy. This photo was taken in Kansas. The property is where my great-great grandparents moved to in the 1870s. They owned the section to the left. My grandmother was born there in the late 1800s. The house is gone, but I know some of the trees are the same. And the road...I look at that road and I know that my ancestors walked it many, many times. Directly behind me is the cemetery, where their baby daughter was buried. I know they traveled that road to visit her grave.
I can envision my great-grandfather as a child, running down the road. I can see him getting cleaned up and courting my great-grandmother. I say that as I sit at their kitchen table. This oak table has hosted meals for six generations, with more to come. I can only imagine the fat and calories this table has held!
I haven't worked on genealogy for some time. I miss it. I love traveling, walking cemeteries, searching records to see where my family lived. As I'm losing weight and feeling better, I know walking those cemeteries will become easier for me. Especially due to the fact I usually do this in the hot summer sun. I think to how my grandparents walked and walked. Even my mother was car-less with two small children, so she walked, too. Necessity. Now I hop in a car without thinking.
I think of them sometimes when I'm walking my dog at night. Something I force myself to do, which was something they didn't even think about: they just did it.
So the photo is a special part of me.
Jo...
ReplyDeleteI love the story behind the photo..I'm getting ready to go back to MO to meet a 3rd cousin 1x removed for a family reunion, to trace my grandfather's ancestors back to TN..ROADTRIP!!!
Maybe put the 282.5 down on top of the road... like the 282.5 is the beginning of the road and behind it stretches the journey... I don't know if you can center it down there? It isn't popping because the black is not a big enough contrast with the brick color. If you put it down on the pale road it might offer a better pop... and also if you can make the 282.5 bigger? Anyway. Just my idea!
ReplyDeleteI love it! I think using subtle triggers that have a special meaning to you is a clever idea (I have sneakily done something similar to mine).
ReplyDeleteJo,
ReplyDeleteI think the new banner pic is great. Show where you come from ....who you are. If that makes any sense. I have not really looked into my ansestors but I do find it interesting to read about people though. Half my family is Amish also so mmmmm they use alot of word or mouth passin it down and not writing it down .....
Your doing awesome on your journey also KEEP ON KEEPIN ON
Thank you so much for sharing! I loved the pic before and now it takes on a special meaning.
ReplyDelete:)tj
I love the picture and the story behind it. I think that's great you've done so much research into your family. I really don't know much about my own family history, maybe something new for me to do. Thanks for the idea.
ReplyDeleteIt's true, everyone walked everywhere.
It's a great pic :D Thanks for sharing a little bit of what makes it special. It is so interesting to learn snippets of others history.
ReplyDelete