A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

4.25.2009

Sleep Again

I want to thank everyone who commented on my sleep post. (And everyone who comments whenever, I really appreciate comments!!!)

Lorie's suggesting of using a notebook to write things down: This is what I did in high school and college when I was studying. It worked wonders.

Many comments about reading: Sometimes at night my eyes really bother me. I have borderline glaucoma, and some weird condition. I have had an MRI and been to my ophthalmologist and a neurologist because if I hold my head in a certain position, my eyes go very blurry. This is much worse at night, and it's one reason I don't read at night. They could find no cause for this.

I used to sleep wonderfully when I worked full time. When I quit my job to raise my son, that's when my sleep issues started.

So last night as I lie in bed, tossing and turning again, I was thinking about all of your comments and what the actual problem was: the racing mind. I decided that this was MY time to relax and rejuvenate, and I didn't want any one or any thing interfering with my time. So I decided to come up with some focus words to bring me back to where I was supposed to be. I didn't want to be negative, and it took me a minute to figure it out.

Just me. Those two words are what I settled on. Every time my mind wandered, I would say JUST ME, this is my time and no time for problems, distractions, etc. I must have said it a thousand times.

Guess what? I didn't get out of bed once. I went to bed at midnight, and I know I was asleep before 12:30.

So I'm going to practice this for awhile. Hopefully I'll get my bedtime back a bit, too, so I'm up a bit earlier in the morning.

Just me. Making it all about me, taking care of my body, and easing my mind!

6 comments:

  1. There ya go..Great job..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it...Just me. I will have to remember that one. Wishing you good sleep and good dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy that worked for you! I should try that the next time it happens to me. For awhile, my heart just kept racing all the time. It was so weird. I wonder if my body is trying to stabilize... or something. I wish our bodies were easier to figure out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to hear that you slept well. They say that sleep is very important when you are trying to get healthier. I know a few times a month I have problems where my mind is racing also. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and more and more restful nights to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your little mantras! They seem to work really well, missus, I'm liking it :D

    ReplyDelete