A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

5.22.2009

Experimenting

Yesterday I experimented with a few things.

Firstly, I googled natural diuretics. With all that extra water, I wanted to eat something that would promote water loss. Fortunately for me, carrots were on the list. So I had an entire cup of shredded carrots.

I also got all my water in.

I had no diet pop. (I don't call it soda, I call it pop which drives my son crazy because where we live people call it soda, where I grew up people called it pop. lol)

I also drank extra coffee on purpose.

The result: Let's just say it would have been a good day to buy stock in toilet paper. lol It worked. This morning, the scale was back to Monday's weight plus the swelling is back to normal. Normal is slightly swollen. Yesterday morning was a I-will-struggle-putting-my-shoe-on-kind of day.

The other experiment I did was to get out my Food Mover. I could only find the cards for a 1400 calorie diet, but that was easy to solve. I went online at RS's site and looked at the info. According to him, I should be on an 1800 calorie diet. So I used his online Food Mover, opened the correct windows and actually used the thing.

The result was eye opening. I was short on protein all day. So for dinner, I deviated from my plan and had an omelet. I'm not quite certain how to count fats, as I had sunflower seeds on my salads. They're high in healthy fat and you sure don't get many for the points. I don't know if I should have counted fat for those or not. If not, I was short on my fat.

I got no fruit in yesterday.

So surprisingly, protein, fruit and fat are the things I need to work on. I did get all the protein in, after adjusting. That won't work so well when hubby is home as we plan our dinners.

I don't plan on using the Food Mover every day. I think it's a good idea for me to study the lists of what counts for what and watch my journals better. I think using the Food Mover once a week would be good for keeping me on target.

I'm very good at planning my points for the day. Now I just need to get used planning the food categories. I need to become very aware.

I'm getting there. When I started this journey, I didn't give a hoot about eating from all the food groups. While I was aware and chose mostly healthy fats, the rest was not good.

Small changes. This is not a race, and everything I do builds. You can't take a person who got up to 282.5 and drastically change their diet overnight and expect it to stick or work. It won't. At least for me it won't, because I'm too stubborn. I have to do things on my time schedule, when I'm ready. This has to be completely customized to me.

Logically I know what has to be done. Mentally I have to prepare for it, build myself up, convince myself it's the right thing to do and that I can do it. When I'm there, I need to just do it. Gentle, gentle, gentle. I still say this journey is mostly mental. Before this began, I would have confessed I needed to play mind games to get going. Now I don't look at it as mind games at all, I look at it as timed reasoning, proper mental preparation, and self-confidence.

8 comments:

  1. Small changes have a way of building upon themselves, until–before your know it–you've produced big changes in your life.

    Keep it up, Jo. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also believe in starting small and building momentum. Our biggest challenge is often our unwillingness to change. When we have that covered, the changes will come slowly but surely.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. Baby steps. That's the way to go. A small change here, a small change there, and we're on our way to real success. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. small changes snow ball to big changes..how do you think i got to now? it snowballed all because I wanted more..

    i'm ao proud of you..and by the way..Richard reads your blog now..I sent him your link and have it on good authority from friends that he's reading our blogs from the clubhouse..

    Be proud girl!! you are doing amazing things on your own!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the small changes too! I think most of my failed attempts were failures because I went crazy gung ho and quickly burnt out.

    Your doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you solved the swelling problem by natural means - the right way to go, I think!

    Sounds like you are doing the right thing with your food - changes made gradually like that are more likely to stick, you are right.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are doing great. I know all about wanting to get things moving again lol. I usually eat some fiber one original cereal lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe ya'll could compromise and call it "soda pop" ;) (you may have noticed that I said "yall"...I am from Oklahoma) LOL

    ReplyDelete