Today I asked hubby to clean the garage with me. While my son mowed, we set out to get the task done. No, we didn't finish, but made a good dent. Another weekend and we'll have 'er whipped.
Hubby and I just think so differently. All through our marriage, we've bickered because we are so different. Today, no bickering, I picked up a big tarp and asked him to help me fold it. I have no idea why he had a tarp out to begin with--I just don't understand his thinking.
We went outside and spread the tarp out. One side is blue, the other brown. As we picked up the corners, I had the brown side out, he had the blue. We made eye contact but didn't say anything. I dropped the tarp and started over with the blue side out to match. Then we had to fold. He folded to the left, I folded the opposite direction. Again, we made eye contact but said nothing. This time he twisted so it matched mine.
Then we finished the folding the tarp. By this time we were standing next to each other. Again, we made eye contact and I couldn't hold it in, I bust out laughing. So did he! We were thinking the same thing: We are polar opposites. Without saying a word, we are polar opposites.
He's an Atkins kind of guy, I'm a low-fat Weight Watchers gal. He's science, I'm liberal arts. He's Taco John's, I'm Taco Bell. He's fairly fit. I'm not--yet.
Given all that, we'll be celebrating our 20th anniversary in September.
Today I was thinking how stuck in a rut we are with our food--our dinners. We don't try new recipes, we eat the same old thing. He's a meat and potatoes kind of guy, I'm an Italian or Mexican lover. I make our menus to please each of us, which is why we are so stuck in a rut. The foods we both like are few and far between. If I have to eat Crockpot Cheeseburgers one more time this summer, I think I'll scream. I love them, but eating them week after week after week gets old, quick. I'm sure he feels the same about some of my chicken recipes.
We're an old fuddy-duddy couple. But it works. I wouldn't have it any other way. Even if he does fold the tarp wrong. ;-)
That's funny. I'm glad you still cherish each others' differences. My fiance is living in TN currently and I'd give anything for him to be home and folding the towels "wrong". ha ha
ReplyDeleteHappy Early 20th. That's awesome.
Its so good that you can laugh and appreciate each other in spite of your differences. Sorry to hear about your food rut. Surely you two can find come compromises. What about chili (although its hot there and chili's not so good in the summer)? Does he like tacos at home or chicken Mexican casserole? I have some great chicken recipes. Best of luck with that.
ReplyDeleteSounds just like me and my hubby right down to what you like to eat! How funny. We are also having our anniversary in Sept. It will only be 8 years for us but I bet if you ask him he'll say it feel like 20 ;)
ReplyDeleteI am laughing over here at y'all's tarp folding skills...stuff like that is precious and priceless!
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing - this was great! My husband and I are quite different as well - but we've only been married 5 years - so we still have a lot of work ahead of us.
ReplyDeleteAs someone who just celebrated 20 years of marriage, I sincerely appreciated this post!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful story.
he's a fan of the Atkins plan?? Oh dear, just type Atkins at the top of my blog in the search box---every blog where I mention Atkins will pop up. Have him read why it makes it extra hard to enjoy long term success!
He may be a science guy, but he's smart too right? It'll be hard for him to argue with my point on the topic!
Great post---I'm so happy to be following your success!
It's a real pleasure.
Sean
Awesome post. I do believe this hits home with alot of couples :) I know it surely does for me and my hubby. We have been married 4 years together almost 7..... and let me tell ya I think it is like one is night and the other day .....but some how we get through it and laugh about it later...... Thanks once again for such a great post....
ReplyDeleteI enjoy following you through your success :)
Keep On Keepin On
Ohh, Jo. I can so feel your pain. Sending you some WW blog love your way! OK, it's time to fire up the grill. You guys could both really enjoy some summer favorites & suit both lifestyles. Or maybe pick up a new cookbook! I don't get the Atkins thing, either. You're not alone with this journey. Not at all. If you want some new ideas, feel free to email me at heather@thewwchick.com. :)
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHA ... that's a great story. My BF and I fold tarps and sheets the same way. You would think we would figure it out after 26 years but maybe there's something to the "opposites attract" theory.
ReplyDeletewhat a cute story! lol. life can be quite funny sometimes :D
ReplyDeleteI hear about the food though... currently I am trying to mix it up and make some new foods. Try and actually cook for myself.
What a sweet post. My hubby and I are 5 years in, and we are sooooo different, in most of the ways you mentioned. Thanks for giving me hope ;)
ReplyDeleteOh this is so me and hubby! You made me laugh so hard!
ReplyDeleteLife wouldn't be fun if it were any other way! ;)
ReplyDelete