A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

7.14.2009

Great Day

We had a great day today. Lots of errands, Subway for supper, and a really good doctor visit.

I love my doctor's scale. It's lower than mine at home! lol My blood pressure was the best ever. I'm a little calmer about the ablation on Friday. She did an excellent job of putting me at ease. She also suggested I take a Xanax the night before (actually she told me to take 2) so I'd sleep. I almost said, "But you didn't write the prescription big enough for me to waste 2 on sleep! lol Which is true. I will probably take one.

We discussed anxiety a bit. She kept redirecting to questions about the procedure, and I kept redirecting to the anxiety. lol She told me that two Christian psychologists come to her office every other week and she would recommend them. Now that would have been nice after Dad's death, but she said she didn't know if they did cognitive behavioral therapy, which is what everything on the Internet and in books says works with anxiety. She also raised her eyebrow when I suggested hypnotherapy.

I think I'll make some inquiries on my own next week. I'm kind of stubborn, I want what I want. When I get my mind set on something, it's difficult to change it. Then again, I also know myself really well and I trust my gut. I also trust my research--and I do keep an open mind when I read up on things. I want someone who specializes in it, because it's just very serious business to me.

Kind of funny, the doctor never acknowledges or asks about my weight. Not once. She doesn't say good job or anything when I mention I've been doing Weight Watchers. She's heavier than I was when I started. They gynecologist I saw? He went all happy-crazy when I told him I had lost 30 pounds a few weeks back. I was going to ask if there was anything I could do about my average .9 per week loss that Weight Watchers tells me I have, but decided against it. It makes me wonder if she, herself, really struggles with her weight, especially with her education--knowing what she knows.

After Subway my son and I ran to Wal-mart. I found a cute pair of shorts on sale for $6. They were a size 18/20. When I held them up, I thought no way. I tried them on at home and they fit perfectly. Cool. I'm used to the 22/24 stuff. I still haven't cleaned out my closet, and I'm still lacking in the britches-that-fit department, so that was a nice, cheap addition.

My son and I got brave tonight and decided to walk all three doggies at the same time without my husband. I was afraid they wouldn't behave. Wow, was I surprised. My son took Apollo, who wants to herd cars when they pass, and I took the other two. We had a beautiful 38-minute walk! They all behaved wonderfully. So I think I've found my solution to the exercise/shower thing for now: Walking in the evenings. I get lost in my thoughts, as does my son, and it just seems to melt the stress away. I was really surprised at how sweaty I got. I did hop in the shower when I got home and put on my jammies. My legs were sore and I did take an Ibuprofen, plus I got a nasty blister because I wore my sandals and not my tennies. I'll wear appropriate footwear tomorrow. Good for me, good for my son, and good for the dogs. Win, win, win.

While I was in deep thought, it occurred to me that I am getting better. Not just with weight, blood work, but in my head. I'm feeling a bit stronger than I did last week. Just a little, but the foundation is starting, it's building. I want it so much, and when I want something, I get stubborn.

Yes, it was a great day.

16 comments:

  1. What a blessing to read your post today! You sound better and we are all happy clappy for you over your weight loss!!! Don't be afraid to go to a good Christian counselor as a jumping off point for other therapy. As a former counselor (on break to be with babies) I would say that you really need both. Cognitive therapy will work better with traditional therapy as well. You will need to see a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist for cognitive therapy. The difference would be a Psychiatrist can prescribe meds (you probably know that). Anyway, a good therapist will likely be able to recommend a doctor for you who can offer what you want. Be open minded, ask a lot of questions, and go armed with all of your information and wants. This was a GREAT DAY! Loved reading it! Blessings--Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are doing great! GREAT! G.R.E.A.T.! :)
    The doc probably does struggle with her weigh, otherwise you'd think she'd have more to say about it. It seems like most docs that I have gone to thought weight loss was the cure to everything. I'd go in with the flu and they'd tell me to lose weight. Headaches. Kidney stones. Broken bones. Lose weight. Ok, maybe I am exaggerating a bit. *wink, wink*
    You are doing so good and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is ALL ABOUT THAT FEELING too.

    The inner strength. the kickass foundation which will, when you layer each healthy habit upon it as you go, foster your success.

    SO glad you had a good day.

    Miz, who is NOT yet brave enough to walk her two canines together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you did have a good day all around - good appt., good walk, good food, and a good shopping experience!

    The doctor thing is interesting, because as I gained 150 lbs only twice did the dr. say anything! (They were men, and thin. . .) But after I lost the weight they had lots to say! My kids dr. has been gaining weight over the years, and I always feel bad for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I new a girl who was crazy about Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. Loved Dr Albert Ellis. Found some of his people through the phone book and saw them every week. It was like going to a class or a workshop rather than counseling!
    Finding them seems to be the thing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. You sound 'up' despite everything, and that is wonderful. Oh, and there's a lot to be said for britches-that-fit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you held your ground!!! And the doc not mentioning your fantastic weight loss? She obviously has her own weight issues, which is too bad that she can't put them aside for her PATIENTS! Sorry, but that just makes me a little mad.

    Congrats on the new shorts!!! And good luck on Friday with your surgery - I'll be thinking of you as I drift in and out of my pain meds, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's to small modifications that add up to big changes. You're doing great, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your doing Awesome Jo... Love reading your blog.... Congrats on the NEW size down of shorts.... That is FABULOUS !!!!!
    Keep On Keepin On

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing awesome! I love reading your blog and hearing about your determination to win this battle!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so on the way. This was a wonderful post to read. As a reader, I can almost "see" the changes taking place within your brain. It's an awesome thing.
    It's a pleasure to follow your blog and thank you for the kind words on mine!
    Blessings,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post!! I love hearing you so energetic and happy with everything going on :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. :) So cool. Don't ya just love going down in sizes instead of up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm SO glad you had a good day. It sounded like you needed one.

    Hooray on the shorts! Going down a size is always a nice little extra. ;)

    I'm the same way when it comes to knowing what I want & standing firm. I tend to research the heck out of things before deciding so when I setting upon something that is pretty much it.

    Best wishes for a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the blood pressure and the smaller shorts!

    I went through CBT for a couple years. I still use those techniques to get through high anxiety situations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. *high fives* to a great day. and a good doctors appointment. And the shorts :D good all round huh?

    ReplyDelete