A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

7.07.2009

Yes, I Cried While Watching, But...



My son and I watched the Michael Jackson Memorial today. Yes, I cried--but for different reasons.

My sweet, sensitive 13-year-old was at summer camp when MJ passed. I had forgotten, but some of the big jokes at summer camps for boys his age are Michael Jackson jokes. When the counselors told the boys that MJ died, my son got upset that they continued the jokes. He thought it was disrespectful. That's my son for you.

So I introduced my son to Michael Jackson's music. Took me back, I didn't realize how much I liked his music and how it has touched my life. I was a senior in high school when Thriller came out. I didn't buy many records, but I bought that.

Anyway, I was very sad today. Sad that a man so young, so talented passed away. However, today was sad for me because it was the 16th anniversary of my mom's passing.

She had a heart attack in front of me on the 4th of July, 1993. She lapsed into a coma and never awoke. Strangely, she was recovering from a quadruple bypass and when she passed out, I thought she was having a seizure or a diabetic seizure. It wasn' until the paramedics arrived that I realized what it was. My dad sat there holding hands watching in terror.

Mom's loss shook my world more than anything up to that point. I was devastated for a couple years, until my son was born.

Before her death, I was in the 170s weight wise and feeling very frustrated being so fat. Within weeks after her death, I shot up to the 220s. I never recovered with my weight. I did briefly make it to the 190s in 2001 when I did Weight Watchers, but stress set me off again and I ballooned up to 282.5.

It took many years to work through the guilt--had I only done CPR, maybe she could have been saved. I am at terms with it, and I know it was God's will, it was her time. I no longer have guilt over it.

The 4th of July celebrations are always difficult to me. Anniversaries get me, and to this day, I miss my mom.

Fast forward 15 years, last spring my dad had a heart attack in front of my son. It was identical to mom's. This time I knew what it was, and my brave son and I got him to the floor, and were just about to start CPR when the paramedics walked in. Dad lived a couple months, and passed away in May. I miss him tremendously.

When we cleaned out their home last summer, I realized that mom had been alive in my heart all these years because except for the dining room and messy kitchen, dad kept the house identical. He didn't change a thing. So when I went home, I was surrounded by mom in spirit.

Cleaning out the house was traumatic for me, as I had to say good-bye to both. It was so final.

I often wonder why, out of four children, I was the one that witnessed both heart attacks. My sister told me it was because she wasn't strong enough, and I was. I laugh at that, because I was not strong. The paramedics called the police after dad's heart attack. The doorbell rang, there stood an officer, and he walked in the house, had me sit on the couch, and he just talked with me. He told me the paramedics said I was so upset and distraught they knew I needed someone to be with me.

If I'm so damned strong, why did I develop an anxiety disorder after dad's heart attack. That's when I had my first massive panic attack, a couple days after dad's attack, I was in the hospital room two doors down thinking I was dying. Why do I close my eyes and see his heart attack, and his final weeks replaying like a movie, over and over. Why did this stir me so that I absolutely ached for my mom again.

Why do I today, a year and four months later, still have panic attacks. Nope, I'm not strong. It's just my warped way of coping. As Marlon Jackson said today at Michael's memorial, "I hurt." So do I, so do I.

So back to mom. I was 28 when she died. Today I'm 44. I've learned a lot in that time, I've grown, I've matured, I've gained wisdom. I know that she had a lot of issues, I know she was plagued by depression and other issues. I know my anxiety issues came from mom. I went 360 degrees with my feelings toward mom. At one point I was very angry with her, when I figured out how messed up she was. Now I'm back to the beginning. She was my mom. She was human, perfectly imperfect. She made mistakes. I forgave her. Now I miss her. No one loves you like your mother loves you.

I am loved deeply by my husband and son. The love from my mother was different, though, and irreplaceable. I miss that. I miss her.


I love you, mom.




20 comments:

  1. I don't think anything I could say would change anything for you, but just know my heart aches for you. And for what it's worth, I don't think anxiety disorders are any sign of lack of strength.
    I hope this release helped you some :) (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head. We can love and be loved by so many but there is nothing like the love of a mother. If you're lucky, it's the most selfless, pure unconditional love in the world. Moms love you simply for being. I'm not an emotional girl (which is why I keep my super secret blog), but the thought that reduces me to tears instantly is losing my Mom. I don't know how life goes on after that so I applaud your courage and your strength. I'm sure much of your mother's love for you is in your love for your son. Because of that, she still live today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful post from your heart. I don't know what to say...except, God bless you.

    When we lost my little brother, my mom changed. She developed severe anxiety attacks too, and to this day she has a nervous twitch in her upper lip that she never had before. Losing someone that we love so dearly can be one of life's most traumatic experiences. I'm filled with regrets that I didn't do enough with my little brother, I didn't spend the time I needed to with him. But those feelings are not productive, not one bit.

    I can't imagine the pain you've been going through. I hope you're slowly working toward peace with everything.

    I admire your strength, because you are strong, yes you are.

    My best
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. Right now I live on the other side of the world from my Mom and I miss her every day, almost every moment. Today as I was taking pictures of myself for the blog I realized how much I look like her. I never thought I did because I am so fair and she is so dark. While, I don't like looking older--I do like looking like my Mom.

    Thank you for sharing your sweet pictures. Praying that you will find some peace today. Blessings--Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you, Jo. What a day of memories you've had. Glad you let them out here - and thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo that was a wonderful post. I agree with Val that it does not make you a weak person. To have endured those tragic events and the loss of both parents is A LOT of trauma for one person. Thank you for opening your heart to us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your panic attacks are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of being human. Having experienced what you experienced, and having it happen twice........honey, that's a major thing and I think anyone else who had to endure that would be experiencing panic attacks or something equally stressful. You are not weak.
    Thinking of you today,
    Amy aka that TOPS lady
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. ((Hugs)). Both my parents died of heart attacks (2 years ago my mom died) and it is hard to cope with still.

    But you are a great mom with a great kid and you deserve a healthy and happy life - thinking of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jo. I really dont know what to say. I just want to scoop you up in a massive hug. Thanks for sharing with us, it must be hard to talk about such personal things but I am glad you do. It shows you are strong so don't ever doubt it m'love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo,

    Thank you for sharing them memories of your parents with us. For me, It makes me appreciate my parents all the more, and Motivates me to call and visit them more often.

    You are blessed by your loving family,your strength is in their love AND in the words you share with the bloggy world.

    Your mom and dad are very proud of you.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone copes in their own ways. It doesn't make you weak to have anxiety attacks - that is just how you work. Your strength is that you go on, you perservere & you are on this journey knowing you want to be healthier.

    I'm so very sorry for your losses. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very touching post...thanks for sharing. I too suffer from panic disorder

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sweety. That's really tough. My grandmother died a couple of years ago and my mom said that she misses her every day and that nothing takes the place of a mother. I can't imagine my world without my mom. Yeah, she drives me crazy sometimes but I love her deeply.

    I only caught the end of the memorial for MJ and cried when his daughter spoke. It just broke my heart. I liked his music and saw him in concert after Thriller came out. My first concert. I'll never forget it. Jermaine was there too! He had a lot of talent and a lot of issues.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My walk loosing my mom is so fresh and I still have the feeling of "oh I need to call her" only to remember that she is gone. I hope that you continue to enjoy the good memories of both your mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry you are hurting. Losing a mom or dad is very painful. Try to remember the good times and not the bad. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a touching post. I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer 6 years ago and not a day goes by that I wish I could talk to her again. My Dad has done the same thing as yours--keeping the house the same--which helps. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry you lost both of your parents this way, but happy you have come to terms with who your mom was.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  18. The tears are falling freely at this post.

    Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jo, I cried as I read your tribute to your mother. My mother is 80 and my dad is 81. God has truly blessed us 5 siblings by allowing our parents to still be with us at this age.

    I don't know what I will do when I lose either of them. I, too, suffer from anxiety, diagnosed about 6 yrs ago. Xanax is a wonder drug!

    Estela in South TX

    ReplyDelete