A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

8.05.2009

Ghosts from the Past

Yesterday I mentioned Student Council and Honor Society. Neither thing was germane to what was talking about, I but wrote about them to push myself. I never acknowledge that part of my life. It's not like it comes up in conversation, but even in my own mind, I try to run from it.

The reason is pretty stupid, and yesterday was a great day of thought for me. I figured it all out.

When I finished high school, I wanted to go to UNC in Greeley to be a teacher. The thing was, my mom was ill. Very ill. She had heart disease, she had had breast cancer, she had gall bladder issues, she developed diabetes--you name it, she had it. I now know she also had mental issues. While my friends were all going off to dorms, establishing their independence, something I desperately longed for, I made the choice to stay at home to take care of mom. With that choice came community college as opposed to a "real school."

I received a full-tuition scholarship, and off I went. I had two part-time jobs, I was very active and pretty happy. I was the joiner, happily so. I joined student council the first year, and the second year I was elected president. I had no idea what I was doing. It was a learn-real-quick deal. I bumbled, embarrassed myself, but muddled through. Through that, I helped a member of the faculty start the honor society, Phi Theta Kappa--the honor society for community and junior colleges. So something good came of it.

When I was elected president, the newspaper interviewed me. The entire front page was about me. My picture and the interview. It wasn't bad. My mom sent a copy of that to my brother, and he ripped me to shreds. His words stripped away any confidence I had, made me feel like an idiot, and broke my heart. I never spoke about that again. I was embarrassed.

As an adult looking back on the situation, I'd like to smack that brother on the head several times. I look back to a young girl who was fearless. I wanted to make a difference in the world and I was doing that. I made mistakes, and I actually am embarrassed over some things I did, but by golly, I faced my fears and went for it. I learned on the way. I did it. I wish I would have seen that then.

When I finished the community college, I was going to move to Greeley. Nope, mom didn't want that. She wanted me to be a court reporter. She held purse strings, she held massive control over me, and so I did what she wanted. I had saved a bunch of money, and because I did what she wanted, she paid half my tuition, I paid the other half. I finished the 2-year program in 18 months. At 21 1/2, I finally moved away from home--400 miles away from home. Then my life really started.

No regrets, things worked out the way they should. But I look back to what should be happy memories and cringe. Now I realize that one should never, ever let someone else's opinion be more valuable than one's own.

Now I know my brother was jealous and was being mean. His character over the past 20years has shown -- well, that he has no character. He's a cruel person. He's miserable. Why on earth would I let someone take away from me like that? Why did I give him so much power?

Life's short. Trust yourself. Ask for advice from trusted friends, but the bottom line is we should always follow our own heart.

I think that was the first time that my confidence got stripped. I think that was the beginning of my negative thinking, my lack of confidence. I think that set me up for 20+ years of putting myself down in my own mind. I'm not good enough, I'm not smart enough, I have two stupid Associates Degrees and not a Bachelors, etc.

The buck stops here. No more. It's right to live in the moment, but I think sometimes we really need to look to our past to find answers. That was really a profound thinking therapy session for me. I learned I gave my power away.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Bull. Words do hurt. The trick is to believe your own words, the words in your heart, not those of others. That is true power.


~~~
I'm very proud I have two Associates Degrees and I had a very good education at my little community college! I've always known this, but could never acknowledge it. Now I can.

Two steps forward!

20 comments:

  1. Two MAJOR steps forward! Keep looking ahead Jo, you've had your aha moment, now keep moving forward! Such profound words and realizations, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jo is all I can say. You are making the best kind of progress with working on the inside. I so know what you mean about giving away your power but it sure sounds like you've taken it back. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to jump on your train! I beat myself up alot for stuff I cant change now, I need to get out of that habit. Your journey is taking you to awesome new places! I am excited to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the insights you've been finding lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two associates or a BA, you're incredibly smart and a great writer and nothing can change that. And I know you know that, and that you know that the voice to believe is your own, but sometimes I think it helps to hear others echo what you know is true.

    Great post and great points. I'm sorry your family held you back so much in the past, and I'm happy you're learning to not let others strip your confidence. I hope you're proud of how emotionally strong you're being, because you should be.

    Psst, Any updates yet on this post?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. You are an awesome person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hadley, um, nothing yet on the smoking. I am an addict and making every excuse in the book. I am scared to death I'll gain weight. It would be far healthier for me to gain a few pounds from quitting smoking than to continue smoking, but I'm just not there yet.

    I'm trying to come up with something to do in addition gum with my mouth and hands. I am scared to death to stop and scared to death not to.

    I was wondering if anyone would mention it! lol I think about it every single day several times a day--which is more than I used to. I'm wrapping my brain around it, I'm just quite sure how to get there yet. I will, though.

    THANK YOU for asking. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ((hugs)) What an amazing post - I know it took courage to write that. I too, let people's words have too much power over me more times than I care to admit, and I have been breaking free, little by little, and its great to hear you have as well. You are such a great lady, Jo - you WILL have it all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow love the post. It is great when we look back on our past and learn from it. Most people cannot do that. I too spent most of my life looking after my Dad when he had cancer and now my mum and you know what it is hard to have a life as well when you are helping them with theirs. It certainly makes me think about what I am going to do in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an incredibly selfless and sweet thing to do--to take care of your mother. That just shows what a wonderful person you are. I was in Phi Theta Kappa too! I started at community college and earned a scholarship to Boston University. Sadly, I got married instead--stupid, stupid--bad first husband! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful post. Blessings--Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. When do you all start school? We will start next Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was touched by this post Jo. Always good to do the soul searching and thank you for your honesty.

    Hadley, I am impressed you remembered her post AND brought it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, so wise! I totally know what you mean, those comments shouldn't disable us, but they do. And recognizing the motivation can really take away the power of those words. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing post. I love that you are really examining and looking at your feelings. You are taking back your power! You are so awesome Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Germane - cool word! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post Jo. Your comment about sticks and stones is oh so true. "Stick and stones may break my bones", but they heal in a very short time, "Words will never hurt me" take a very, very long time to heal. Sometimes I don't think you ever really do heal from words that are cruel and hurtful. Eventually, we might let them go, but we never forget them.

    Jo, you sound like such a lovely person. I wish I knew you.

    Take care and keep up with your soul searching. I think you are finding your way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, You've done more than some people do in their whole lives. But in the end, you're right about "others". You can't live for others and do because of others... in the end it needs to be *your* choice.

    I too had to stay close to home and take care of my folks during and after my college years. There is no question it has changed my life and I think if I had done things differently... well you can go crazy thinking of the what ifs and whys.

    I try to focus on the "what now." Just a single step in the direction *I* choose, hopefully in the right direction... be it about food or anything else.

    My past (for what ever reason... good and bad) made me who I am. I'm going to try to have a hand in making who I am tommorow. As are you with your own tommorows. Your working so hard, it's an inspiration!

    And remember that keeping your hand out of the cookie jar is a job for tommorow at foolsfitness!- Alan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure about your brother, but my 3 brothers are all idiots! My brothers always teased me when I was younger but I've come to realize in my adult years that they are plain dumb. I don't get them, and at this point, I don't want to. I love them nonetheless but I just do not understand.

    I'm so glad you're feeling better about yourself and your accomplishments. You've made it a lot farther with your education than many other people and I am a bit envious. :)

    I wanted to thank you for your comments on my blog. They've helped tremendously and I do believe you're right. I will definitely keep you posted on what I decide to do. I too come from a family of teachers and always thought I would be the one who chose a different career path....didn't happen.

    Anyhow, it's late as ever and I'm going to bed. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Jo,
    I'm so glad you found me, and now I have found you!^-^ Thanks so much for visiting and leaving such a sweet comment.
    I absolutely loved this post! Thank you so much for sharing.
    "Life's short.Trust Yourself.................
    but the bottom line is we should always follow our own heart."
    Wow! I shall be thinking of this line all day and tomorrow as I make my way through a few tricky family type "things".
    Thanks for this shot of encouragement.

    http://hecate-metamorphosis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you didn't mind me asking about it. I reserve the right to check in again in a few weeks if that's all right with you.

    Thinking about quitting, and adjusting to the idea that it's something you truly *want* to do is a huge part of the battle. So, I know you've got a lot on your plate, but it's good to keep thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete