Woke up to a lot of pain today. It was bad and I couldn't work out. The good? It eased greatly after dinner.
School went well, DS did fantastic on his math and scored 97% on his grammar test. I had to lie down in the afternoon and he plugged away and stayed on task--he's a good kid. Dependable, trustworthy.
I got the checkbook balanced and the bills paid. The bad? I bought Rosetta Stone German, more fish oil, new glasses (thank you Zenni Optical, less than $50) because my old pair broke, and, ahem, don't read this darling husband, but two new exercise videos that I simply had to have. Cha-ching.
Good and bad:
I got my lipid panel from the doctor.
The bad news: My HDL only went up 2 points and is still way too low.
The good: My triglycerides went from 403 June 1st to 278. The bad: They're still way too high and I have to continue medication. Overall cholesterol is good, LDL is in normal range, but that HDL is dangerously low.
I find it frustrating that exercise is supposed to "significantly" raise your HDL. My significant is 2 points. That's better than 0, but not good enough. It made me look through my food diary and I zeroed in on something that I have noticed before: I am not getting enough fat in my diet. Today I only had 18%. That's just too low. So I need to incorporate some Promise, some olive oil, and some peanut butter and perhaps almonds. I need to juggle my calories around to do this. I also need to up my protein a bit and lower my carbs a bit. Perhaps this will help.
It is frustrating because after almost a year, 65 pounds gone, exercising fairly regularly, the numbers haven't improved more. I'll give it my all, do more research, and continue my fish oil and medication.
I was hoping for better. I have a lot of work to do still.
On a bright note, I was 2 points away from being diagnosed with diabetes on the test previous to June 1st. My blood sugar is completely normal now. I also test it at home once a month as I bought my own meter. My blood pressure was borderline high, and it, too, is completely normal. My resting pulse has gone down as well. So I am making some improvements.
~~~~~
The moral of this story: While we're on a weight-loss journey, we look to the outside to see improvements and meet our goals. Are we getting skinnier? Are we losing fat? It's the stuff you can't see, like lipids, marbeling of fat in the muscles, bone loss, blood sugar issues that is even more important than looks. Good health is precious. There are no guarantees in life, but we should strive to be in the best health we can be in. So it's important to check in with the doctor regularly and watch those improvements, discuss what can be done when they're not going where we want them to.
I have lots of research to do. My parents both had heart disease. Both parents had a heart attack in front of me. Actually, both died in front of me, were brought back by paramedics, and then died later. That is nothing anyone should witness--it's something no one would ever want to happen to themselves. I do not want to do that to my son. My mom was 59 when she died. Dad was in his 80s, but it was still as traumatic.
So while smaller clothes and looking better are all still important, it doesn't hold a stick to health and what's going on inside our bodies that we can't see.
This isn't an easy journey at all. Takes perserverance and hard work. It gets frustrating at times. But, to continue working hard is of critical importance.
Today, I could have tried to work out. My pain was really bad, I was sitting with a heating pad. I could have taken Ibuprofen, and I could have attempted to work out. I chose not to. That was the wrong choice. I should have tried something. I could have done an upper body workout, but I didn't.
Tomorrow I'll do better. I simply must. I'm still not healthy. I'm still at great risk for stroke and/or heart attack. It pains me to say that, but the numbers do not lie.
Must keep going and give it 110%.
It's good you listen to your body's needs.
ReplyDeleteEasy does it, as they say!
Your right. What an insightful post. Get's you thinking: I'll be thinking of what you wrote all day long.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way regarding your son. I witnessed some horrible things with my mother (she passed 4 years ago-diabetes complications) and I can't do that to my children.
Thank you for sharing your feelings. This might just be the post that helps save my life (I've been having the hardest time w/exercise - this post gives a whole other perspective).
I did the same thing with eating too little fat. I had hair falling out in handfuls! Now that my diet is more balanced it has stopped. Of course, I also gained two pounds! Ugh. Finding the balance is SO frustrating, isn't it??
ReplyDeleteJo, I'm glad you saw some improvement in your numbers,even though it wasn't as much of an improvement as you had hoped for. It still means you are on the right track. It also gives you the tools to make hard decisions on how to get where you want/need to be.
ReplyDeleteKeep it the good work; it will pay off in ways neither of us really can imagine.
Wow! Thanks for the post. I, too, am being to struggle with blood sugar issues and struggle with cholestrol issues. I need CONTINUOUS inspiration to keep up the fight. Thanks for being my inspiration today.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on all the good news, because even though some of your numbers may not be what you want - you *have* made improvements & that is something to be proud of doing!
ReplyDeleteIncorporating the good fats into your diet isn't too hard, but you will have to learn to juggle the additional calories. I've found quite a few ways to work flax into our diets by adding it to smoothies, the breads & muffins I bake, stirring it into yogurt, etc...
I know that one day you'll be telling us how you aren't on these medicines anymore. :)
Best wishes,
Lynn
Sounds to me like you are doing wonderful! Look at all the progress you have made on key health indicators. Yay!
ReplyDeleteFirst off Jo, you beautiful beautiful woman... ((((hugs)))))
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredible reminder... absolutely TRUTH TRUTH TRUTH... the outside is nice, but what is going on on the inside as we pursue health is truely what matters. Thankyou so much for the reminder of that! I am so so very sorry that you witnessed your mom and dad suffer like that. You are right, NOBODY should EVER have to see that once, let alone twice. :( My goodness, my goodness!!
What a beautiful gift you are giving yourself, and your family. They will NOT have to experience that with their momma! Nope! Nope! You are doing to great! So much to celebrate! Normal blood sugar is HUGE!! Lower triglycerides too!! WOOOO HOOOO!! HUGE HUGE!!
Love you heart and your thoughts! Thankyou for sharing them... such an inspiration you are!!
Amy
you are right we are all doing this for health reasons
ReplyDeletei hope you get better soon
Sometimes people forget to look at the whole picture including the changes to blood sugar, cholesterol etc. I think that since we are ahemmm over 40 we really need to be aware of our numbers. Thanks for the post Jo and have a good weekend lady.
ReplyDeleteThose are awesome numbers! Congrats on achieving so much since your last apt.
ReplyDeleteMy HDL is really low too, despite the exercise. I also eat too little fat, and at this point its not even helping me lose wieght anymore. SO I started taking the fish oil. And just this week started the Firm 14 Day Diet, so far so good on that. It has helped me get my good fats in and still control calories, etc.
Keep up the awesome work!
Great post, Jo. I really need to get myself to the doctor's and have a check-up.
ReplyDelete