A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

5.21.2014

Fair?

Today I was reminded that life is not fair.  It never has been, nor will it ever be.  While that's not ideal, it's okay because it is what it is.  I had a struggle with something, but talked it out with several friends.  In the end, my soul is uncomfortable with what I have to do yet I am going for a piece of paper, and I must jump through the hoops.  We chose our battles in life, and this isn't one worth fighting.

What is worth fighting for is health.  Today after a stressful morning, a friend and I hit the gym at school.  I had been there but never worked out there.  The horror of dressing in a dressing room hit.  I was the only one in there, until I wasn't.  My pants were off, so very exposed, and in she walked.  I quickly put on my capris.  I was so uncomfortable that I didn't not change into my sports bra, but did put on my big, baggy t-shirt.  I don't wear baggy t-shirts to my gym, but felt the need to hide at the school with all the young, beautiful bodies.

I decided to be proactive.  I started talking to her.  I showed her my feet and joked about my hideous attempt at a spray tan.  It is funny, I look like an orange zebra. She laughed, and was very nice. We talked a bit about the gym, working out, and then we both went our way.

It wasn't that bad after all.  You just need to get over your own insecurities.  People generally are only concerned about themselves, and that's an important lesson to remember.  It was a nice encounter.

My friend is in the Armed Forces.  He works out differently than I do.  I did 20 minutes of cardio, less than what I normally do.  I did the bikes, while he ran on the treadmill.  We were across the gym from one another.  After, he told me something that shocked me.  He said it was very noticeable that I was working out much harder than the other women there.  My feet were going faster.  I was sweating bullets.  Not only were my feet going fast, but I had it on a higher setting to make it hard.  I had a good heart rate and was sweating bullets.

Then instead of doing weights, we did the Army thing--body weight.  My friend is so encouraging and gentle. I did one push up.  One. And I didn't go down very far.  I used to be able to do 15 on my toes.  Today it was one.  It's a start.  We did planks, I did crunches and he did sit ups, donkey kicks, some yoga poses and called it good.  I was shocked at how hard it was to do body weight stuff.  It's not my cup of tea, never was. I realized it is imperative that I cross train and add some more in instead of just doing weights.

For a few months this summer, it will work out that we can work out together three times a week!  I'm very excited about this.  I will still have to do my own stuff at home, because 20 minutes of cardio isn't enough for me--but it felt so good.  I'm excited to have a workout partner, something I have always wanted.  He's a great kid.

I hit 15,000 steps today.  I haven't had that high of a step count in ages.

All said and done, with the ups and downs of the day, it was a great day.

1 comment: