In order to help my swelling, I have decided to eat tuna salad for lunch leaving my lunch meat behind. I was surprised to learn a can of water-packed tuna only has 100 calories. The only bad thing is I know there is mercury in tuna.
The last time I went to the grocery store, I bought a jar of Kraft Free Mayo. I just got it out of the cupboard to check nutritional info, opened the fridge to get the mustard out, and found a jar of Kraft Free Miracle Whip. I so seldom use mayo that I had no idea it was even in there. It hasn't expired yet, which is good, I guess.

So comparing the nutritional information, the Free Mayo has 5 fewer calories than the Free Miracle Whip, coming in at 10 calories for 1 Tbsp. Reading the ingredient list, I decided which I will use. The first ingredient on the Free Miracle Whip is water. The second? High Fructose Corn Syrup. UGH. That may or may not contain mercury. And I'm on that quest to not eat HFCS. So the Free Mayo's first listed ingredients: water, modified food starch (sugar, high fructose corn syrup, vinegar, soybean oil... I guess that the mixture of sugar, corn syrup, vinegar, soybean oil and HFCS beats the second igredient of pure HFCS.
What is it with high fructose corn syrup in everything? And what am I to do? I want to make some tuna salad. I don't want to use real mayonnaise. It makes for difficult choices.
I have never been able to tell the difference in taste between the two. I guess I'll use the Free Mayo.
Is there a fat-free mayo on the market that does not have HFCS???

I just blogged that I'm not a purist. Maybe this is the gentle step I was talking about. I'm going to make the tuna salad, but I'm just not happy about the HFCS. I'll be on the lookout for more low-point protein sandwich options besides tuna and lunch meat.
Peanut butter is an obvious choice, but I don't really love it. I never crave it, I will eat it, but it doesn't turn my crank.
People also always think that all fat people eat a lot of doughnuts. I get that a lot. I use the Free Mayo some. Nice flavor without too many calories. Good luck with the tuna!
ReplyDeleteHi, I thought you might find this resource pretty useful. http://foodessentials.com
ReplyDeleteIt allows you to search foods and compare them by ingredient, additive, allergen, and nutrient properties. So you can find HFCS free products. The list i have posted below is for HFCS containing and free orange juice. (unfortunately we don't have any mayo yet - but will get the team on it)
http://industry.bnet.com/food/1000555/sugar-embraced-as-lesser-evil-over-hfcs/
I hope this helps and hope you might be able to find the time to give us some feedback.
AX
Haha, I love how people thinks its just a quick fix. Like duh, don't eat cookies. um, ok. I agree about HFCS, doing Low Carb for so long I didn't have to deal with it, now I'm trying to eat as much 'real' food...but it's still everywhere...
ReplyDelete