A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

3.27.2009

TOPS: No Go

The other day I went to the TOPS meeting. I didn't go to the meeting, I went to the meeting place, the library. I was going to go in when I noticed someone I did not like go in. I don't like this person at all. This person has rubbed me the wrong way ever since I first met her. Her husband has been nasty to me and my son. (She's a neighbor.) I watched her march right in to the TOPS meeting.

I debated in my mind. Should I or shouldn't I? The answer was fast and clear. Nope. I have anxiety, and getting to the meeting was tough enough. I would never open up with this person present. I would be on guard and stressed the whole time. The only thing I would get from the meeting would be a stress headache and a need for a Xanax.

I look at it like this: It wasn't meant to be. In this journey, I am on a quest to be positive. I'm changing my stinking thinking. I'm really working hard on the physical and mental. I know to run fast from energy vampires, and very negative people.

I'm not trying to hide from the fact there are always going to be jerks in life. Obviously, jerks are everywhere. The situations I can control, though, I will.

I think perhaps there's something better out there for me. I don't need to go to physical meetings to get healthy. I have a great support system on the Internet with the blog, in online groups, etc. Perhaps my energy for joining groups is better spent with something I love: service, volunteering, history, etc.

I feel I made the right decision. I may check it out again in a few months, I may not. I am doing the right thing by trusting my judgment, though.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you girl...Proud of you for making you first. your mental health is most important in this journey to a new you..if you are laden with anxiety it will not benefit anyone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you checked out http://3fatchicks.com - there is a wonderful, wonderful forum there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. You have to pick what works for you. I also have some major anxiety when it comes to doing exercise outside. I took a walk the other day and I felt so strange the whole time. I am trying to get over it. I keep telling myself that everyone is living their own lives and they don't care that I am walking down the street. Keep up the good work and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, I have read at 3fat chicks but I haven't posted there. I should jump in!

    Dutch, it's funny you mention that! I rarely take a walk in my neighborhood. If I do, it's with my son or hubby...even if I'm walking a dog.

    If I'm walking alone, (always with a dog) I get in the car and drive somewhere to walk! How weird is that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand where you are coming from and you totally did the right thing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. You were right to trust your judgement. The negative repercussions from battling to stay in a place where you would that stressed and uncomfy would be disastrous. GOOD CALL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have anxiety too, and I would have made the same choice. There are lots of ways to get support.

    ReplyDelete