A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

4.24.2009

Sleep Problems

The last two weeks I have had a terrible time falling asleep. I go to bed, toss and turn, my mind races. I get up, go back to bed, get up, go back to bed, blah, blah, blah.

I thought starting an exercise routine would help. So far, it hasn't.

I have a hypnosis CD specifically for sleep. My mind is races so bad that I'm not hearing anything, and I'm definitely not relaxing.

Today was a very long day. I exercised, we schooled, and then we left the house late afternoon for our dog obedience class. I forgot how physical that class was. Driving to the city an hour away, we noticed it was unseasonably warm. It was 88 out according to our car's thermometer, and it felt it.

The obedience classroom, a big dog spa, was hotter than he--you know what. In the class, we walk around the very large room practicing new commands. I walked an hour. Stop, start, stop, but mostly walking. I was sweating nearly as much as during my workout this morning. I did not have bottled water with me and toward the end of the class I whispered to my husband I was afraid I'd pass out. I didn't. Thankfully I had water in the car and I drank and drank.

So we went to Taco Bell, had our dinner and came home. I was so tired I didn't feel like driving, but my hubby gets up well before the crack of dawn was too tired to drive. So I did.

Got home, exhausted, had to deal with dogs, feeding, mail, stuff. I took a hot soak in the tub, afraid I might fall asleep. Got out and BOING my eyes opened and I was wide awake.

So I've been in and out of bed again. My mind races, I'm not tired, and I'm just ticked.

Why can't I settle my mind to sleep? What the heck is wrong with me? Is this anxiety related? The other night I took an Ambien, but it did nothing. The CD doesn't help.

So I already know how tomorrow will start: just like every day for the last two weeks. I'll oversleep, we'll scurry about getting our morning stuff done so we can start school. My son will get going, I'll exercise, then shower, and it will be noon. I'll be behind on everything again.

This stinks!

So I'm on the lookout for solutions. What can I do to settle my mind. I don't have a problem sleeping, my problem has always been getting to sleep. I have to figure this out, because it is reducing the quality of my life, of that of my son, too. He's a teenager, he could sleep forever in the morning. He has got me up a couple times this week, though. Strange.

I only pray for big things regarding myself, so I will do that. Tomorrow I'll do some research on the internet.

UGH

~~~~
I had a great on-point day, short on veggies and fruit though. I had no problem dusting myself off after that sandwich last night. Ate within my points at Taco Bell and enjoyed every bite.

9 comments:

  1. If i don't read before bed... i have the same problem. IF I read a book for pleasure, not learning, I fall asleep thinking of the story line instead of my ever growing to-do list. Or what i didn't get done, or need to do... etc... It goes on and on. Now I admit... sometimes, this tactic bites me in the butt. When it's such a good book I can't put it down and my eyes don't even get droopy it's so good. BUT that only happens for a few days because every week I'm onto something new to read. :) Good luck finding your trick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have to read before I go to bed. I have a sleep sound machine that I play. Other than that, I sometimes lay for hours waiting on sleep to come. I definitely know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kinds of things are you thinking about? Is it a stressful situation in your life or just random thing? Do you eat or exercise before bed? There are tons of things that can cause you to not sleep well. I know because I've been there! :) I didn't start sleeping well until I left my job to stay at home. I also try to calm down at night by reading. Hope you feel better soon. I know how horrible it is not being able to sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing, not sleeping for periods. It drives me crazy. When I'm exhausted I tend to 1) not workout
    2) snack on unhealthy food - I think I'm trying to find an energy surge from a Snicker bar 3) and eventually get moody-after a week or more.

    I read before I go to bed and sometimes this helps. I've also taken calcium supplements and they help some. After two weeks into my most recent episode of insomnia (1-3 hours sleep a night), I started telling God everything I was thankful for. Because my mind races like yours, it's hard to do this mentally. I needed to do it verbally to stay focused but I'd wake up my husband who has NO PROBLEMS sleeping. So, instead I started just silently mouthing my thank you list. I finally started sleeping. I would do this every time I woke up during the night and I was able to fall back asleep.
    Good luck, insomnia is the pits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This always works for me...not always fast, but it works. Count backwards from 100. I can fall right to sleep, it's staying asleep that is my rpoblem. Good luck,,,sleep tight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm a mind racer at night, during the day..i find that I have to give myself permission to go to sleep..Literally give myself permission to turn off the thoughts and go to sleep. they'll be there in the morning. I repeat the mantra over and over in my head. I give myself permission to sleep. I give myself permission to sleep..Guess what? Somewhere in saying that I went to sleep and wake up in the morning, or a trip to the bathroom.LOL.. Hope you find a resolution!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read at night before I go to sleep. Sometimes I take a natural supplement like melatonin to help ease my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get yourself a small notebook and pen. Keep it beside your bed. When your mind starts racing, write it down. Make a list. This helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had this issue for awhile, but lately I have been so exhausted it went away. I have heard about Lorie's tip. It is supposed to help you prioritize the worries that are keeping you up!

    ReplyDelete