A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

5.09.2009

Walking

I didn't exercise this morning, and so I needed to do something tonight. I leashed up Pip and off we went.

I did my normal "walk the dog" route. At the half-way point, I checked my cell phone and we had only walked for six minutes. Holy tennis shoes, Batman, not good enough for today's exercise. In the past, it took me a half hour to walk this normal route, so I've shaved that considerably...due to my fitness being better and my puppy healing much better.

So we walked and we walked and we walked. I started to freak out because what if my legs gave out, what would I do. I don't walk this far, ever. We walked some more and came upon some fog and it was absolutely gorgeous. It had just rained and everything was fresh, foggy, and cool. I could smell wood stoves burning, I could see my breath! (Yeah, it's cold here tonight.) And I forgot about getting in 30 minutes, I forgot about where I was going, I forgot to worry about my legs giving out. I enjoyed the walk. So did Pip.

When we came back into a neighborhood, I checked my phone and it was time to head back. My legs were feeling this walk, as it works different muscles than Richard's videos. I feared we wouldn't get in an entire half hour and would hit 20 minutes. Was I surprised when I walked in my door and we had been gone 31 minutes. Woot!

Lots of small hills and they really winded me. Walking on flat ground is easy, but those hills--it was embarrassing to huff and puff on those small hills.

I wonder what people thought on one street we were on. It was a quiet street with no traffic, so Pip and I practiced about turns and u-turns. Over and over and over. lol Hopefully people didn't think I was stalking them or staking out their houses! lol

To be very honest, I don't like to walk. I do, but I don't. I have no desire to ever run. I love to read about everyone's 5Ks, but I have no interest in them. After tonight's walk, though, I think I have a desire to go on long walks more often. It was good training for my pup, it was good training for my legs.

Now don't laugh. I logged our walk in, and we went 1.40 miles. In 30 minutes. That's really slow, isn't it? It doesn't matter, because we got out there and did it.

8 comments:

  1. 1.4 isn't bad. You have already gotten faster and you will continue too each time you do it. I bet to before you know it you might even feel like you want to run because I use to feel the same as you and now I find myself wanting to learn to run. Glad your walk turned out so nice, way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the awesome walk! You're doing great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your progress is fantastic! Think about where you will be in a month or two! I'm with you about the huffing and puffing up hills, OHHH so embarrasing! yuck. But it's better than not doing it. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, that's not bad at all! It's all about progress, and as long as you feel your heart and body are working, you are benefiting big time. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you went from a walk that normally takes you a half hour to expanding it to 1.4 miles in a half hour and you ask if that is bad? that's great girl...that's a HUGE NSV for you..Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is fabulous and I must admit to enjoying walking outside so much too!

    Well done you (and puppy)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, i hate that when I think I've been walking for ages when in reality it is like two minutes.

    Kudos on just simply enjoying the walk. Great progress :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! You got some walking exercise AND you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete