I dread fall, because...
after fall comes winter and sub-zero temps
there's less light
it's cold
my joints ache
it's freezing
there's less going outside
it's damned cold
and my SAD hits me hard.
Last year I bought a light box and it helped tremendously. It's time to pull it out again and get it set up. About mid October every year a dark cloud starts lurking above me. It does not lift until the temps warm up in the spring.
I never had this when I lived in South Dakota, Colorado or Wyoming. It's a lot colder here for the duration of the season, and I swear there's less winter sunshine here.
I hate it. I really do. I was in a mood all day today and I know this is why. Plus, I was a little sad after being in a city with stuff to do with my son and coming home to nothing.
I do not like where I live. I hate it. There, I said it. Whenever I go somewhere, I always feel empty when I come home because it's back to nothing. UGH
I'm a city girl at heart. I've lived here 12 years now, the longest I've lived anywhere in my life. It's my least favorite town and house ever, we have awful neighbors, and as I mentioned, there's nothing to do.
I can't change where I live. So I deal. Thing is, I need to deal better. With the SAD, I'm hoping the exercise will help more this year. It is what it is. I have the choice to be grumpy or not. I don't have the choice to not have SAD.
I need to work on my choices. I read somewhere recently that thoughts are things, and I'm giving the boot to negative people and things, so why would I keep negative thoughts around? It's tough when you're in a negative mindset to give them the boot.
I'm going to work hard this week on my choices involving thoughts. I think they need some major tweaking. Especially because these negative thoughts make me want comfort food. I almost bought Weight Watchers brownies at the store tonight. Not that big of a deal, but I put them back on the shelf when I realized that I was looking for comfort rather than just an enjoyable brownie.
Choices. Count my blessings, see the positives because they are everywhere. Choices.
Hugs, Jo. I get S.A.D. too and understand just how difficult this time of year can be (although it always seems to hit me post-Christmas). Remember though that this too shall pass and we are all here to support you.
ReplyDeleteach joe, know what you mean. I have lived in Michigan and Colorado. Colorado has over 300 days of sunshine, you aren't imagining it. I have never had a weight watchers brownie, but don't buy them because I might overeat them. If it makes you feel better, It snowed here today in sunny colorado. So your not missing much lol. I know what you mean about living in the middle of nowhere, I was a city girl at heart, I just didn't know it. I hope you are able to travel more.
ReplyDeleteWell you may not be feeling well, but your blog design is kicking ass! It is so cool - so much fun - I love it!
ReplyDeleteMy husband gets seasonal affective disorder every year, too, even here in sunny CO. He takes a vitamin D supplement that seems to help a bit. I get SAD to a lesser extent, but I still feel the light changes.
Is there light (so to speak) at the end of the tunnel? Do you see yourself moving in a couple of years? Sometimes a plan, even if it's in the distant future, can be enough to hold on to.
Sending you spears of light from sunny CO....
Full-spectrum lighting and happy thoughts to you, Jo.
ReplyDeleteAnd good call on the comfort vs brownie.
Jo, I am sending you some good vibes right now and a big cyber hug. One fun thing for this winter season, you can wear much smaller pretty winter clothes! Hang in there my friend.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you know what to do to solve this trial, but I still wish you the best of luck in dealing with this winter!!! I really admire your ability to recognize WHY you are wanting a certain food!
ReplyDeleteIt's been cold, rainy and gloomy around here lately and as a result, I didn't feel like doing anything except laying around and watching TV yesterday. Told my husband that if it wasn't sunny today I would turn on every light in the house - in the daytime - so I could get motivated to get some things done! I feel for you, Jo. Know that you are not alone, and do whatever it takes to get out of the depths.
ReplyDeleteOh good luck with the fall and winter, I have never seen so many sunny days as I see here. Good luck powering through the winter!
ReplyDeletei am panicking about winter too.
ReplyDeletemore about christmas than anything though.
you can do it jo. we'll all be here to support you through the rough winter months.
<3
I think you will feel better this year! I get SAD too, but last year I actively kept myself busy with exercise and going out and taking classes... it helped! :)
ReplyDeleteYou know, I was just wondering the other day if I have that SAD thing, too. What is the light box you're talking about?
ReplyDelete