So I'm giving up my lunch meat. It's processed and not good anyway, even though I love it. I grabbed the jar of Jif, weighed out my half portion, 95 calories' worth, and had PB&J for lunch. It was good, nothing I ever crave--well, maybe once every few months. I'm just not a peanut butter person. BUT, it's good for me, so I'll do it. When I get really brave, I'll start eating it with only slice of bread--an open faced sandwich to drop my carbs down a bit. Not yet, though. lol
The thing is, though, I can't eat Jif. It has hydrogenated oil in it. That's a big no-no for everyone, but especially for my lipids. We do not have a health food store in town, so picking from say Wally World and HyVee, are there any good quality peanut butters out there without the hydrogenated stuff in them? I am clueless.
Will also eat more tuna, which will be easy to eat alone or on once slice of bread. Need to pick up almonds, too.
Researching changes to make--not fun, but necessary. Need more protein. Hate yogurt. Get sick of chicken breasts. Ugh. This is going to be a difficult task.
Mmmm... peanut butter! I absolutely LOVE peanut butter... and I eat it almost every morning for breakfast on a whole wheat English Muffin.
ReplyDeleteI shop at Walmart, and I always buy Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter. It is really yummy... and there is no hydrogenated oil in it! In fact, the ingredients list says: "Peanuts, contains 1% or less of salt." I just checked! lol
I actually buy a store brand "Organic" peanut butter (from either Stop & Shop or Shop Rite). The ingredients are: peanuts, sea salt.
ReplyDeleteThere's a ton of natural PB's out there, and once you get over the pain of having to keep mixing 'em up, you'll probably like the taste more than the old Jiff. Mix it up with almond butters too... that's my personal fav.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/nutrition.html
ReplyDeleteCheck out the Better'n Peanut Butter. You can buy it from Amazon or Target. Some of the super grocery stores also carry it. The kittehs lived on this for a vary long time. If you looked in our trackers we consistently had Thomas 100 cal english muffins and Petter'n Peanut Butter for breakfast. NOW it does not taste like JIF. But it does not taste bad either. It is 1 pt/tbls. SCORE! and on a toasted English Muffin, NOM!
There are some good veggie protein options. The obvious ones are tofu and silken tofu. Less obvious include tempeh and textured vegetable protein. There are brands of all of these basic products that make them into different forms, e.g. beef crumbles, hamburgers, chicken, etc. A fairly recent newcoming is a brand called Quorn which makes some really tasty Chick'n substitutes.
ReplyDeleteSkippy makes a great natural peanut butter!
ReplyDeleteLove Skippy's natural peanut butter!
ReplyDeleteI love Maranatha Organic peanut butter - ingredients are peanuts and salt. Mix it up once, store upside down in the fridge and you're good to go!
ReplyDeleteI wasn't going to advise, but I saw shelley say maranatha, and I'm currently on maranatha no-stir peanut butter - crunchy, of course.
ReplyDeleteWhat I wanted to say was HEY look at your workouts ticker! You're really coming along! Have you noticed any differences in your workouts?
check out this website: http://bellplantation.com/ I love the stuff! I do add a bit of sugar and a bit of splenda as it is defatted peanut protein and nothing else but I like it! SOOOO low fat! YUMMMMY.
ReplyDeleteIf you have a sprouts in your hood-they have all natural nut butters there that they grind and sell in plastic deli containers. I just got the cashew butter and oh my yum!
Skippy Natural, yummm. I also saw that Jif now makes a natural peanut butter.
ReplyDeleteIf you look at the ingredients, the only one in a natural PB should be peanuts. That makes it easy.
ReplyDeleteYou have GOT to try "teddie smooth old fashioned all natural peanut butter"... It's ingrediants are *roasted peanuts and salt* (and they even have one with no salt too!) I drain off the excess oil that seperates from the peanuts when I first open the jar. It needs to be refridgerated too.
ReplyDeletetrust me when I say eating all natural peanut butter is SOOOO much different and better than jif. I'm not a nature food organic crazed "hippie" type I eat it because it rocks. I've also started experimenting with soy milk... maybe I am going hippie?
and remember that Foolsfitness only serves all natural peanut butter... The bread at Foolsfitness however has no natural ingrediants in it!- Alan
I'm getting a pb craving...I'm going to try some of these suggestions! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteok sounds gross but its great.. try one tbs of peanut butter with 1/2 of a tostada! I follow a strict diet when i am losing weight and this is one of diet treats..never eat it at night cause it can cause a sweet tooth craving.. but if you put mint leaves or even a few thin slices of banana its the best treat... and filling .. it cures that salty/crunchy craving!
ReplyDeleteI love love love Trader Joes' Natural Peanut Butter... fabulous! Salted...,mmmmm... so good!
ReplyDeleteI love pbutter too! Eat it everyday!
I use the blender, add walnuts and almond and pumpkin seend and a bit of oatmeal, i puree it til it s a powder, and add a date or 2, dark herseys choco powder, and some agave, or honey and PB! YUM! Very nutritious, high protein, could even add some protein powder.
ReplyDeleteI have the recipe somewhere, but its really a wet to dry thing, you want it to be like PB balls! Also, DONT FORGET EGGS, Tofu, and Quinoa, very high in protein!
I was going to say...stick some peanuts in a blender and maybe add some honey or something.
ReplyDeleteCan't get any more one ingrediant and sure of what you are eating than that.
The Smucker's All Natural is all over the place.
ReplyDeleteI mix some PB with some plain cream cheese,
and a little Sugar-Free jelly....a yummy treat!
Or instead of jelly, some sugar-free maple syrup!
About the meat - for me, the key is in the spices!
It gets dull quick if you don't jazz it up a bit!
Give a natural almond butter a try! I love a toasted thin bun with a smear of almond butter :)
ReplyDeleteI can't recommend any :( the brands are different here in old blighty.
ReplyDeleteplus i got addicted to it a while back and i had to throw away a half full jar... like i was just eating it from the jar with a spoon. bad times!
I bought Better N Peanut Butter at Trader Joes, was SO GOOD!!! and only had like 2 grams of fat was delish on Eggo waffle
ReplyDeleteI tend toward anything ALL NATURAL.
ReplyDeleteThat said after reading your comments I think I need to attempt to make my OWN!
Ill letcha know what happens....
My mom bought me some sunflower seed butter. it's pretty good on crackers, but I haven't found really much else to put it on. Which kind of sucks because it's like 6 bucks a jar. I love sunflower seeds and I get the low sodium ones (because I eat them so frequently the salt ends up burning my mouth).
ReplyDelete