So today, Wednesday, was a day of depression. I stayed in bed most of the day. Zero energy, extremely negative thoughts that I couldn't shake. I was so excited for my internship so that I could be in an office around people only to learn I don't go to the office, I do all my work on my own. I even bought new shirts. Frankly, I was devastated. I crave being around more people in a setting other than a classroom. I miss working for that very reason.
So tonight I bought yet another book not on depression, but on changing our thinking patterns, reprogramming our brain. It's the negative self-thoughts that are doing me under. I need to do some things:
1. Develop a routine
2. Set some goals
3. Try something new
Other things, that I am already working on.
My something new: I found a class for Buddhist meditation. I just need to get the specific info on how much and when, and do it. I'm not a Buddhist, but I think the principles of meditation would be highly beneficial. I have tons of goals, and I need to make a routine for the days I don't travel.
Sounds easy enough.
And I have to work on those negative thoughts.
One final comment. I have depression. It his highly stigmatized. Here's the deal: You wouldn't make fun of someone with cancer or tell them to pull themselves up by the bootstraps or get over it, so please remember that those who have depression deserve that same respect. It boils down to being a brain chemistry problem. I am fighting hard at curing this, and am well on my way. In reality, you also wouldn't make fun of someone who has obesity or morbid obesity--that is mostly a mental issue as well. So be kind, stop and think before casting judgment.
Depression is a tough deal - it does sounds like you're working on it. It will take time.
ReplyDeleteGood on you for studying Buddhist meditation. I sometimes feel that I need to do something similar to get the chatter outta my head.
People who judge or look down on someone because of depression are some of the most ignorant people on the planet. Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me--I was watching the documentary "Food Matters" on Netflix and this doctor describes a patient with severe depression...He goes on to say how he suggested she take Niacin (Vitamin B3). Her results were dramatic. It's relatively cheap, over the counter in the vitamin/supplements isle and it seems to really help.
I applaud your desire for meditation. I haven't learned any specific type--but I'm interested in leaning Transcendental meditation at some point. I call what I do in the mornings meditation and I guess it is, but basically it's just eyes closed, quiet, and a focus on positive thoughts. Some days are easier than others.
take care, Jo