A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

3.27.2009

Product Review: Fiber Gourmet Pasta

This past weekend, I ordered a sample pack of Fiber Gourmet Light pasta. The sample pack contained two packages each of Penne, Rotini and Fettuccine. Each box has 8 ounces of pasta.
The total cost for the pasta was $22 for the sample pack, plus shipping for a total of $27.99. I ordered on the weekend, and first thing Monday morning I got an email from the company that gave me the tracking number. Meaning: they ship fast. The pasta arrived yesterday.
Each serving of pasta has 18 grams of insoluble fiber, 1 gram of fat and 130 calories, 40 percent fewer calories than regular pasta.
I decided to whip up some Rotini and cheese. I poured out 56 grams of pasta on my scale.


Note to self: Next time I do a food picture, use a bowl that does not have a chip and rust stain! And clean up that food scale, sheesh.
I put that on to boil and measured out 28 grams of Kraft 2% Velveeta. It's hard to measure that! I thought it didn't look like enough, so I ended up using 2 ounces rather than 1. One would have been fine, for the amount of pasta. It would have been a light, cheesy taste rather than a really cheesy taste, but 2 ounces added 3 points as opposed to 1 point for 1 ounce.


This is the end result:


It was DELICIOUS.

BOTTOM LINE:

Pasta quality: Great!

It had a lighter color than any of my pasta here--that was the only noticeable difference.

If I had to give it a percentage rating of how close it was to "real" pasta, I'd give it a 97-98. It was that close.

Recommendation: BUY IT! I will be a happy customer with this company from here on out.

I think that the greatest thing about this pasta is that it will teach me portion control. At 18 grams of fiber per serving, I will not be bingeing on it. I will not be going back for second helpings. I would not do that to my body because I know what fiber does. So to me, that is a huge added bonus. I will slow down and savor every bite!

I am very happy.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jo. I was never a real fan of whole wheat pasta so I started to buy this:

    http://ronzonismarttaste.newworldpasta.com/index.cfm

    for the 2 ounce portion it is 3 points and if I see a deal on it sometimes its $1.50 a box. Just incase you don't want to spend 30 bucks on pasta. YIKES!

    :) Could I come by today for some mac & cheese pleeasee? lol

    :)tj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the website. It said it was available in my state, but I have never seen it in any of our grocery stores. They are the makers of Creamette, which I can buy locally. So I'll have to hound the one store that will special order products on occasion. Other than that, I have to rely on the internet and I didn't see where you could order it.

    That is what stinks about living in a small town, you just don't have the options that big-city living provides. Or should I say living in civilization. lol (We don't even have a Taco Bell where I live, and our Starbucks closed, that's how small we are.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got mine at the health food store. I forgot I had it. Now, with your review, I'll be using it this week!!!

    Hey, could you tell me how you change your scale from grams to ounces? My friend has the same scale and doesn't know how to do it. I tried, and failed. The only thing I didn't try was to push the button and hold it down for a bit. kidsrme@hotmail.com if you have a min to tell me how to change it for her! TIA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm.. Pasta! I am about to have me some whole wheat pasta with some bacon and chicken and a niiiiiiiice low fat italian chilli sauce. mmmmm...mmm

    ReplyDelete