Today was my day to volunteer at the library book sale. I dreaded it, and my dread was correct. It was as boring as watching paint dry. It could have been fun but the gal who volunteered with me was one of those women who talk incessantly about themselves, leaving no room for an actual conversation.
Yawn.
She said "shit" many times in front of patrons, "Jesus" and "bitch" were used, too. Have some class, lady. (I say those things in the privacy of my home or with certain people, but I would never do that in public.)
Then the president of our group showed up. I tried to engage him in pleasant conversation. Every time we started talking, she'd interrupt and start blabbing on. I just tuned her out. So did he. She was going on and on about something and in mid-sentence, the man turned and walked away. That made me smile on the inside (because I'm evil.)
I was also very saddened to learn that a good portion of donations are put into recycle piles. We discovered the pile, and there must have been a couple thousand books. I was shocked because there were books I would have bought if my son were younger. There were some of my donations as well. I donated a few sets, textbooks, teachers manuals and workbooks that we didn't use. The textbooks were on the shelves, but the teacher manuals and workbooks were in the recycle. My donations were mint condition, too.
There was an entire box of Zane Grey books, in mint condition.
I didn't understand the logic: put the clean books out and if they don't sell, then put them in the recycling. I will be rethinking what I donate in the future.
I was also dumbfounded to learn that the money from these sales does not buy books like one would assume. The money buys the social things for our library: A coffee bar, a Wii and Wii games. My son has gone to three of the Wii parties for teens, and at two of them, he was the only one to show up.
They need some good leadership. Personally, I'd rather the money go for books!
There's my rant for the day. Now for the NSVs:
It was cold and windy today, but expected to be in the 60s. I wanted to wear a short sleeve shirt, but I didn't have a spring coat that fit well. I have a few that are too tight and too short.
WRONG. I put my favorite blue coat on, expecting to look like a sausage stuffed into its casing, when lo and behold, the coat was long, the sleeves went to my knuckles, and I could zip it up plus put something under if need be. lol
This NSV just shocked me, because I wasn't thinking about weight or fit or anything, just dreading wearing the too-small coat. Wow, what a pleasant surprise.
~~~
One of the volunteers this morning brought in two plates of brownies. Great big, beautiful chocolate brownies. They smelled divine. Another plate of cranberry and orange brownies. They didn't tempt me at all. lol I sat there with the brownies within my reach the entire afternoon and didn't even want one. I did enjoy the smell, but I just had no desire to eat one.
So a weird afternoon. I'm glad I volunteered, it's nice to be helpful. I prefer to be a recluse and not have to deal with self-absorbed yackers, but I had some pleasant moments with patrons. I got out of the house, which is always good. I didn't eat a brownie and my coat was too big.
Not bad at all!
Those are some impressive NSVs, T. The brownies even moreso because sometimes it's easy to snack when we're bored.
ReplyDeleteI'm offended she said "sh*t" in... well... nevermind. ;)
One thing you can do is have them sort through the books with you. There are plenty of organizations that need books... especially private and reservation schools, long term care and nursing facilities, and some hospitals and respite centers. There are also plenty of places that buy used books... and if you wanted to, you could donate the money to a cause you feel will better spend the money.
ReplyDeleteThey just throw them away? THat makes me so sad!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your NSVs!!!!!! What a fantastic surprise!!!!!!
I know people like that too! Annoying, to sy the least!
ReplyDeleteWell done for not diving nose-first into the brownies...
YEAH for the coat!! I'm so proud of you. And turning down the chocolate..How in the hello do you do that? j/K..just keep doing the great job that you are!
ReplyDelete*high fives* way to go, missus! On the coat but major kudos on the brownies! Seriously, brownies get me every time. Our local pub down the street makes the most AMAZING BROWNIES. Last week I had them twice. No wonder I gained. lol. Sorry for the rant. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete