A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

5.16.2009

Family Discord (Bowflex!)

Last night and this morning I was reading about strength training, the thing I am resisting, ha ha. I just don't want to do it. It's painful. It's boring. It's manly. (Not, but I can use any excuse I want.)

So I bit the bullet, and asked my husband for help. He was not happy one bit. His shoulders dropped, he made a face, and shook his head.

Him: Do you remember the last time you asked for help? I set up a program for you, you b*tched and whined and moaned and didn't do it. You made me miserable. (I did, too. I am really bad about those things. It's all his fault, you know.)

Me: But honey, this time is different.

Him: Why don't you research it yourself, learn about it, and set up your own program. (He wants no part of it because he knows me too well. And FWIW, he's right.)

Me: I just want you to set it up, teach me what to do, and I'll do it. I don't want to learn about it, I don't like it, but I know I have to do it. I don't care about any of it other than I know I have to do it. You know about this stuff, I don't. Help me, support me. (That guilt stuff never works with him.)

He sighed, went downstairs and got on his computer.

The point: I am being lazy. I want it handed to me on a silver platter without any effort on my part. This will produce the same results: I won't do it.

A little while later he told me to go to www.fitnessbliss.com. They have workouts for the Bowflex that are animated drawings to teach me how to do the exercises. He did not give me a routine, but he got me started. Part of my problem is I'm scared to death of that ugly contraption. It's also old, and doesn't have an elevated bench, this bench is low to the ground. I'm just simply not smart enough to figure out how to do the exercises on a lower bench that are meant for a taller bench. Ahem, yeah, right.

I think I'll take a week to figure this all out. That's all the time I'll give myself. I need to get going on it. I have the book Body For Life, I have Google, I can figure out a routine. Right? (Website and/or book suggestions?)

I tend to do better at things when I do them my own way. I'm snarky like that. I just need to figure out what my own way on this stuff is...because I know nothing about it.

The last time he helped me get this lined up, he set up a program for our son as well. It was part of our homeschool PE. It lasted one session. My son is a carbon copy of his mother: He hated it, wanted no part of it, it wasn't fun, Dad drove him crazy, etc. lol

These photos are from two years ago. Maybe if I get going on it, it will inspire my son as well.






This is probably he "fattest" my husband has ever been. He has a little bit of a tummy in this photo. I hope my son got his genes.


Does it LOOK like I'm having fun?

5 comments:

  1. What a riot you are. I love the last picture of your son. He is so adorable. I started doing a little bit of strength training until my band broke and it was with my Walk Away the Pounds tape belt. It goes around your waist and you follow the video with the bands. You can really feel it and it is not hard at all. My hubby is going to fix the belt for me with different kinds of rubber bands. I haven't really pushed for him to fix it. LOL I guess we are pretty much the same when it comes to strength training. I did get some 2 and 3 lb ankle and wrist weights a week ago but I still haven't used them.
    Good Luck with your routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're intimidated by the Bowflex, just get a couple of 10-15 pound dumbbells. There are plenty of simple exercises that don't require complicated positions. The important thing is to just do something. Even carrying dumbells on walks and swinging your arms will work wonders.

    The important thing is not to set yourself up for failure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about the blowflex but that's one cute kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just use free weights. I bought a Shape book about strength training. It's a spiral so it lays flat. It is organized by arms, abs, back etc and then further organized by training level. It's really awesome.

    My 8 lb dumbbells are by the TV...staring at me...all the time. Seriously, when they're kind of I'm a lot more likely to use them. And I also feel empowered after working with weights...like a warrior. HA!

    Good luck chicky!

    ReplyDelete