A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

5.06.2009

Vita-Mix

See this Vita-mix? The thing so many people covet? The coolest invention since sliced bread?

This exact creature sits on my counter top. I inherited it from my dad. So far, I have only made a couple of shakes in the thing. I dug it out of my cupboard and gave it a place of honor when I started Weight Watchers. I don't have much counter space, but I figured this would be an invaluable tool.

I will use it to grind up Fiber One Cereal to make some of Hungry Girl's recipes. I may use it this summer to make mock chocolate shakes although I haven't found any that both taste and texture is good. I just read that you can freeze you favorie flavor of diet pop and then use a juicer to make slushies: I see some orange slushies in my future this summer!

This creature could help me on my journey. Yes-sir-ree, Bob. I don't like veggies, and I know I could concoct all sorts of healthful drinks or soups in this creature.

I don't.

I see pictures and blog posts about smoothies and I think: I should make that.

I don't.

I see reports that you can get 4-5 servings of fruits and veggies in one glass. In ONE glass.

I don't.

It scares me because I'm afraid of -- of -- I don't know what, but I am.

So I'm asking for help. I need recipes and ideas. Can't taste too gross, lol! The goal is to mask the taste of veggies. Dr. Oz's green drink that Oprah said tasted like a glass of fresh? Just the sound of that made me gag. When I heard that, I instantly thought of grass clippings. lol

I don't know why I don't like veggies, but it may be the fact that Mom cooked them to death when I was growing up and they were soggy and mushy and disgusting. I prefer raw over cooked. Most veggies taste like dirt to me. Seriously.

So any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I need to give this creature a run for its money.

8 comments:

  1. Jo,

    The vita mix thing is a cool gadget. I don't have one.. but I think you will be able to put it to good use. I don't have any recipes for you, but maybe if you started out with fruit smoothies it would be an easier transition to healthy snacks.

    I look forward to your new adventure with the vita mixer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at TJ's post on green monster smoothies. I have one every day!

    1/2 banana
    3 strawberries
    1 c light/fat free yogurt
    1 c fresh spinach
    1 c skim milk
    6 ice cubes
    1 scoop soy protien powder(optional)
    This is what I use. It is SO YUMMY!!!

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Lisa. I'll have to do that. My son would enjoy that.

    Lorie, I think it was TJ's post that prompted my Vita-mix post. I look at that and think..cool! Then I think...spinach!

    I have no idea where to buy protein powder or what it really is. I always thought that was a body-building thing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would lvoe to have your vita-mix... probably because the only way i can make smoothies is with my stick hand mixer. Hubby hasn't gotten on board with a blender. just a blender. Geez. Anyhow... I have heard of putting vegi's into smoothies... i've never done it. i'll eat mine thank you. But.... hhhhmmm.... makes you think :) Maybe if I didn't eat so many vegi's I would. I make the smoothies with fruit because I'm the opposite of you... i don't eat enough fruit. I don't... 1/2 the time they are just too sweet for me... I know. WEIRD!

    protein powder can be bought at health food store in the bulk food aisles. I go to Sprouts here in Az or Whole foods (rarely), i buy only what i need :) I only add it when i'm not enough enough protein for the day as a supplement, not for body building. I think those are different kinds of mixes than at the health food store bulk section; I don't know if that's true or not though. Anyhow... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol Lorie ( she rocks) took the post right outta my typing fingers. :) Green smoothies are a great way to get in veggies...my boyfriend loves them and hes PICKY! lol

    :)tj

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/

    Jo..I've looked through this book on several occasions at TJ MAX and Marshalls and other clearance stores for as low as 6.95 here. But I still haven't got it yet. I've read reviews on it and think I will look into getting this..Didn't know if this would interest you..thought to pass it along

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another book to try is The Sneaky Chef. Same idea as Deceptively Delicious. I bought it for my sister and she loves it!

    I bought my protien powder at Sam's club. It's says Soy Meal Replacement. It's to make diet shakes but it makes the smoothies more filling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just have an average blender! *jealous*
    But thanks for reminding me I have one. I ain't used it in forever. Probably has dust on it!

    I daren't put spinach in my smoothies incase I hate it. lol. I'm such a wimp. I'm off to check out the other suggestions :D

    ReplyDelete